1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took friday afternoon off to make the 40 minute drive to the DW factory to pick up my new 1911. The facility is real neat. The two front buildings are log cabins with the machine shop located behind in a metal building. We were offered a tour which we gladly accepted.

As I was filling out the neccessary paperwork my buddy was in the other room looking at the 1911s that they sell under the DW-Direct program. He looked like a kid in a toy store. On the way home he asked if we could turn around and go back. Too bad for him I had prior arrangements that I couldn't change.

The pistol I bought looks like it belongs in an art gallery. I looked at many other 1911s in my price range ($600) and this DW blows them away. I'm not sure on how to descibe which model it is. It is a hybrid made up of other models. It ends up being exactly what I was looking for. It has a Blue Pointman Major slide modified like a Patriot with an external extractor. I believe the frame is from the Pruitt line since it has a front checkered strap. The blueing and polishing on this gun is exceptional...deep and shiny. It was a factory show gun, so I wonder if they put a little more TLC into it?

I put 50 rounds through it Saturday night. It functioned flawlessly. I shot much better with it than my dad's Colt, but I need some instruction. I was able to put 3 out of 10 in the black(50' indoors). The funny thing was afterwards I shot my .22lr which normally I can put 7 or 8 out of 10 in the black. After shooting the .45 it was easy to put all 10 in the black every time.

The pistol case did not include any tools. Was there suppose to be tools included for cleaning / field stripping?

I will post pictures on request. Also, I will be returning to the factory soon. My buddy needs to go back. If it is alright with Bob, I will take pictures of the non-manufacturing areas so you can see what a beautiful facility they have.

All in all, it was a great experience. Thank you DW.

...luker

1 - 2 of 2 Posts