1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up the stainless 1991 in .38 super today, has the standard plunger tube slightly off center issue, slide to frame fit is fine, but there is the slight gap between dust cover and the slide where you can see the mainspring a bit if you tilt the slide up, ie: the slide has a little bit of vertical play when grasped at the muzzle, a stainless springfield next to it was the exact same. I am thinking I might be too picky. The most offensive issue was all of the sharp edge and machine marks inside, like they were in a rush to get the gun to market. We had to file off a pretty nasty bur inside the slide. The trigger however is perfect. Nothing however was a deal breaker and I look forward to shooting it.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,296 Posts
Plunger tube is off-center? Recoil spring plug appears off-center?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Ugly, I think that RickB wanted you to clarify which part was off-center, as the plunger tube is the tube that contains the spring that operates on the manual safety lever and the slide stop, and what we suspect that you're actually addressing is the surround to the recoil spring plug on the muzzle end of the slide.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugly, I think that RickB wanted you to clarify which part was off-center, as the plunger tube is the tube that contains the spring that operates on the manual safety lever and the slide stop, and what we suspect that you're actually addressing is the surround to the recoil spring plug on the muzzle end of the slide.

Best, Jon
My bust, it's the recoil spring plunger at the front of the slide.

·
Registered
804 Posts
That's what we all probably suspected! So was the recoil spring plug/plunger itself eccentric, or the metal surround on the slide?

Best, Jon

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,296 Posts
Yeah, what they said. Some have claimed that the slides are not really machined off-center, but unevenly polished, giving the appearance of one side being thinner than the other, but, that part of the slide isn't polished, and even if it was, they'd polish off a measurable amount of material from that spot, but not elsewhere? My '04-vintage stainless Super is OK in that respect, and the only real complaint I had with it was an odd bushing fit. They are fun guns.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Having discussed that issue with a Colt engineer & closely examining my own XSE Commander, I stand by my repeated earlier statements.
It is an EXTERNAL cosmetic issue only, not an internal machining error.
The "polishing" statement came from the Colt engineer who said that it's a result of over-polishing on one side or the other in that area during one stage in manufacturing the frame.

Colt gets it's frames & slides from outside and final machines/finishes them in-house. The fact that the final product shows no "polish" on that part of the frame does not negate any previous steps taken to reach that point.

Honest, I'm not making this up, it came straight from a guy inside Colt who is in a position to know. I can agree with what he said in looking at my Commander. It's quite obvious that the OUTSIDE wall on one side has had more material removed than the other side, and that creates an optical illusion that the inside channel is off-center. :)

Denis

·
Registered
804 Posts
Dennis, what you're saying about Colt obtaining their slides and receivers from external sourcing and then merely finishing them is in direct opposition to what is reported and discussed in considerable detail in the sticky about the Colt factory visit in 2006 by CTSigLover, where it is specifically stated that while the forged steel BILLETS are obtained externally, all subsequent manufacturing and finishing is in fact done in-house. Unless Colt has massively changed their business model, mode of manufacture, and their orientation and corporate vision subsequent to the stickied visit report, I personally would be very surprised if they are doing as you say. Can you please clarify?

Best,Jon

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a pic of the gun, if you look close you can see the frame gap, if you hold the slide to the highest part of the vertical play you still can't fit a credit card in there, plus it looks pretty parallel. At rest most people would likely never even notice or question it if there was no play as then you can barely tell.

Attachments

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
Colt gets it's frames & slides from outside and final machines/finishes them in-house. The fact that the final product shows no "polish" on that part of the frame does not negate any previous steps taken to reach that point.

Honest, I'm not making this up, it came straight from a guy inside Colt who is in a position to know.
I'd like to know your source. Maybe you're just talking about the raw forgings, which I'd find easier to believe.

Here is a pic of the gun, if you look close you can see the frame gap, if you hold the slide to the highest part of the vertical play you still can't fit a credit card in there, plus it looks pretty parallel. At rest most people would likely never even notice or question it if there was no play as then you can barely tell.
Whatever issue you're talking about, it's so hard to see I don't know how you could be worried about it. I see gaps between the slide and frame on 1911 pistols all the time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't understand how a company that once 'owned' this product, has been producing it essentially unchanged for almost one hundred years, can still be having QC problems, even if the problem is 'only' cosmetic

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
I don't understand how a company that once 'owned' this product, has been producing it essentially unchanged for almost one hundred years, can still be having QC problems, even if the problem is 'only' cosmetic
1. The old gunsmiths are long gone. In their place are half-trained machinists and assemblers.

2. The equipment they're using is old and in frequent need of servicing.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
1. The old gunsmiths are long gone. In their place are half-trained machinists and assemblers.

2. The equipment they're using is old and in frequent need of servicing.

3. And the majority of purchasers will buy and accept guns with slides not centered in the dust cover, slides overhanging the frames, poorly impressed rollmarks, hammers that rub, poorly finished or polished sides, recoil spring plugs that aren't centered, loose sights, etc. And Colt will sell everything they send to the distributors and fix the very few that are returned for repair. And they will still make a profit.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts