1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Excellent Job

Whether one wants to remove the safety stuff or not, the large clear pics and write-ups are great for those of us who might want to take our 1911 apart for thorough cleaning and inspection, and especially for those of us who come back later and can't remember where the little parts should go, or order that they should go in. I'm gonna print a copy of it and put it in my workshop.

Thanks a bunch Scott.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Great Job..............

Very good site with great info, THANKS!. I was just about to make a post here asking if somebody could walk me through all the steps on removing the series 80 parts, you beat me to it :biglaugh:

Very well done :rock:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
By popular demand (ha ha), I have updated the page with additional text explaining in more detail the reassembly steps. I also added a safety warning at the top (be sure gun is unloaded) and wrote up some more explaining "why would you do this?". Finally, I included some information about the differences between the Series 80 captive half-cock notch and the non-captive pre-Series 80 design.

For those of you who printed it for future reference, Sorry. I highly recommend that you print it again (at least the text, anyway).

Here's the link again: http://freepatriot.com/removeseries80.php

Best,
Scott

·
Registered
114 Posts
ulflyer said:
Whether one wants to remove the safety stuff or not, the large clear pics and write-ups are great for those of us who might want to take our 1911 apart for thorough cleaning and inspection, and especially for those of us who come back later and can't remember where the little parts should go, or order that they should go in. I'm gonna print a copy of it and put it in my workshop.

Thanks a bunch Scott.

A BIG +1 to that! Thanks Scott.

Best,
Christopher

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
scottauld,

Thanks for putting this together. It's awesome. About time someone did it. :)

Hey do you have a hole at the bottom of the slide where the plunger used to be or is there a filler for that to? Great write up!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mustang said:
scottauld,

Thanks for putting this together. It's awesome. About time someone did it. :)

Hey do you have a hole at the bottom of the slide where the plunger used to be or is there a filler for that to? Great write up!

Yes, there is still a hole left behind. From the article:

In my opinion, if you remove the firing pin safety on your Series 80 Colt 1911, you are simply returning it to a pre-Series 80 configuration, with the following exceptions:

• A hole is left behind in the slide where the firing pin plunger was.
  • A slot will be left behind in the frame where the lever was, even after installing the gap-filling shim.

Glad the article helped you. Most disassembly web pages I see out there have very dark photos, so I took all these next to the window. I think the pics came out pretty well.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.