1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me start with a little history here. It all started with an article by Denny Hanson in the April issue of SWAT magazine where he refinished his Kimber TLE/RL in OD green over coyote tan. I had the itch to try my hand at it and when I bought my Kimber Warrior, I decided this was the time to go for it. So I ordered some of Brownells baking lacquer in earth brown and OD green as well as Brownells Teflon/Moly spray in black.
My first attempt was the frame, beavertail, mainspring housing, thumb safety, slide release and mag release of my TLE/RL in earth brown. I had everything all blasted and prepped and was ready to go. I shake the can up real good and go to spraying...and it comes out of the can like someone blowing and spitting at the same time! Saying I was mad was a gross understatement! So I call Brownells and explain what happened and they send me a new can.
In the meantime, I get my Warrior ready. I prep and paint the trigger and hammer with the black Teflon/Moly spray and the frame, beavertail, mainspring housing, thumb safety, slide release and mag release in OD green. It all turnes out really nice. Just like I thought it should.
A week later I get the replacement can of earth brown in the mail. So I prep everything off of the TLE/RL and try it again. Same results! Argh! It covered everything well enough that I've left it that way for about a month though. Until the other day I was thumbing through a mgazine that had a Para-Ordnance gun in there in OD and black. So I get to thinking that I've got some of the OD and black paint left and ought to give this gun one more try at looking good. Well, I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking....

Warrior and TLE/RL together

another one

Warrior's refinished frame and parts after 625 rounds

TLE/RL finally looking better

Overall I'm happy with the way they both turned out and how the finish is wearing so far.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
66 views and not one comment? :confused: I guess no one wanted to hurt my feelings. ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Looks awsome

I am getting ready to refinish my Dan Wesson and I am going with the OD and black and I am happy to see your came out so nice. I hope mine turns out as nice. How long did the process take? What kind of lube do you need to use with the coating.

Thanks Nate

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nstn8 said:
I am getting ready to refinish my Dan Wesson and I am going with the OD and black and I am happy to see your came out so nice. I hope mine turns out as nice. How long did the process take? What kind of lube do you need to use with the coating.

Thanks Nate
Nate,
Thanks for the reply. I did the whole thing from disassembly to reassembly in an afternoon. I use the same grease and oil (TW-25B) that I use on all my other guns.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
They both look nice, have to say I prefer the 2 tone though.

My Stainless Target II touch up was a little easier... blast it with some child's play sand and I was done.:)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Im just wondering why you did that. They look like they are professionaly done and I do like OD green but , They came out perfect but didn't you like the orignal finish? Im old school so my opinion means nothing I don't even like stainless. Everything I have is blued.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike 257 said:
Im just wondering why you did that. They look like they are professionaly done and I do like OD green but , They came out perfect but didn't you like the orignal finish? Im old school so my opinion means nothing I don't even like stainless. Everything I have is blued.
Just to be different. I like to have things no one else does or different from everyone else's. ;)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
ok heres a comment:barf:
Hate the colors. However it looks you did a very nice job. But you are consulting on the colors for my house

·
Registered
153 Posts
bertel, I might actually do that finish to my M1Garand

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good refininshing job. I prefer the looks of the two tone myself. The might take some getting used to but the main thing would be the protection and function of the gun anyway and you can change it up when you want I bet. It will be nice to see how it wears over time and usage. I hope you add an update later.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The Pistol Pete said:
Just to be different. I like to have things no one else does or different from everyone else's. ;)
Hey Pete,

Can you get a hold a a good battle ship grey or charcoal grey to tutone with the black instead of using that "split-pea" color? That would be an awesome color combination . . . here's a pic of one of my Hi-Powers with that type of tutone look (no I didn't do it myself, but would love to learn).

RC

1 - 20 of 64 Posts