1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am looking for some pics of thumb safeties that have been modified from their stock profile into one that looks like a standard Colt Thumb Safety only larger. I remember seeing one not too long ago and I think it was a Kings Thumb Safety, but I can't find the picture anymore.
I'm sure there are other brands out that that can be re-shaped into a standard Colt Profile only larger, do you know which ones will work?

If you have pics how about posting them? If you know anything about what safeties can be used or should be used for such a project, would you mind posting your thoughts?

Thanks for the help and time.

Nala

·
Banned
114 Posts
Hey hey

Not sure if my answer is what your looking for, but check bromwells for pics of safteies, i got a low mount from them, very nice saftey, especially for small hands like mine

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I put in a Gunsite low mount, then cut the tip of the shelf off and rounded it off. Used a Dremel for most of that. Pretty straight forward.

Edit: A little off-topic, sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Dunno if this is what you're looking for but, these are the Gunsite low mount safeties -

Got them from Brownells.

Works for me very well -;)

:D

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and pix.

HunterCustoms is on the track of what I am thinking about. I am looking to get a standard thumb safety and make it into a LARGER version of the standard COLT thumb safety that I have on my 2 Colt's now. The only one I know of so far that makes a decent looking part is the X-Tra wide safety from Kings. I am curious to know if there are others out there that can also be used for such a modification.

That Low Mount Gunsite safety might be worth a try.

Nala

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Hi Nala! Anyone can weld some extra width on an existing safety, but it may cost more than a new one.
To the guys that have those Gunsite Low Mounts...don't they affect the ride in your holster that covers the safety? All my top shelf holsters are boned for the normal safety. Any problems with it not riding in the designated area?
Tracy

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Thanks for the info and pix.

HunterCustoms is on the track of what I am thinking about. I am looking to get a standard thumb safety and make it into a LARGER version of the standard COLT thumb safety that I have on my 2 Colt's now. The only one I know of so far that makes a decent looking part is the X-Tra wide safety from Kings. I am curious to know if there are others out there that can also be used for such a modification.

That Low Mount Gunsite safety might be worth a try.

Nala
I know a gentleman that had a Gunsite safety on a gun he purchased, he hated it and came to the shop to have another safety fit to his gun.
After shooting his gun with the Gunsite safety I'll have to admitt I wasn't impressed. I did not like the way it positioned my thumb when shooting strong hand; it limited the position of my strong hand. When I tried shooting the gun weak hand the Gunsite safety dug into the palm of my hand.
I do have an ideal for new modified thumb safety that will appear on some of my new custom builds.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I put my Gunsite Low Mount on a carry CBOB b/c the EB safety just felt wrong, I shoot with thumb on safety and it always felt too high and awkward, I'm unsure why. The GS LM safety does touch the top edge of my left hand's palm when shooting weak hand. For that reason, I would not use on a game gun. My game gun has a low profile SA safety that I have no reason to mess with.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Kings is the one that I like to do. The thumb tab tapers all the way back to the pivot pin. It makes for a good looking and functional short safety.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I was curious. Here is a modified King safety on a Berry Hill pistol. I bobbed my GS LM safety about the same, I did a bit more rounded finish on the point though. Obviously you could take it further back:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I don't that that particular gun any more, but I once installed a Wilson Combat extended safety on my Essex frame 1911. It did require some minor fitting on my part, but if I recall, installing a thumb safety is one of the easier mods you can do.

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
Bob, I think you took that safety off my gun and plated it! Really, those dimensions are close to a Colt safety I did for one of my guns. I like the early military 1911 thumb safeties.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Hi Nala! Anyone can weld some extra width on an existing safety, but it may cost more than a new one.
To the guys that have those Gunsite Low Mounts...don't they affect the ride in your holster that covers the safety? All my top shelf holsters are boned for the normal safety. Any problems with it not riding in the designated area?
Tracy
No problems with the VMII - the kow mount safety just slide in - apparently it fits close enough to not datch and, holstering the Government Model 45 tends to, if anything, push the safety towards the safety on position.

And on the Rosen ARG, the holster doesn't extend high enough to hit the low mount safety.

My experience with the low mount safeties is nothing but good and the position gives me a comfortanle high grip while shooting. They were as close to "drop-in" additions as I've had for any add ons requiring minimal touch-ups.

:D

·
Premium Member
7,058 Posts
So so.........
Pretty much eliminates weak hand shooting as they will usually get knocked 'on' from recoil.
The commercially available units are rough.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Mine was roughly finished. Casting line and "sandy grain" to it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts