1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, a couple of pics... 1943 Winchester.

Mikey D...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
very purdy...ive always wanted a garand...but will probibly never buy one...since i only buy stuff ill actually use.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Very nice. I have my garand as well, rebuilt and rebarreled in .308.

I have a bunch of stuff but the Garand and I think soon my SA 1903 NM also in .308 gonna be my favorite battle rifles.

Congrates on the nice rifle.

Karsten

·
Registered
504 Posts
Don't poke at my open wounds. ;)

I'm still heartbroken after selling my CMP M1.....I'll get another tho! I MUST!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey Mikey,
From what you've said about your rifle in your previous post,I would guess it to be an arsenal rebuilt rifle.
If you get Scott Duff's book about WWII Garands or Bruce Canfield's Garand book you can get a real idea of the time period of the parts used,from the drawing numbers stamped on them.
For example,I have a Garand with a 1944 Winchester receiver,rebarreled with a 1948 S.A. barrel,it had a post war trigger group on it and an International Harvester stock.
The oprod was a S.A. around '42 I think and the remainder were mixed WWII parts.
These guns are very different than the 1911's where we look for all originality.Most Garands are mixed from several different rebuilds,but that's a collectable in it's own right,because the history of the gun shows in the way the government made it ready to put in some GI's hands for the next conflict.
A true original Garand is a rare bird.Because of people restoring a Garand to be "correct" it's hard for a novice like me to even think about looking for an original.

·
Registered
817 Posts
OK, here's mine. I got it from the CMP in January and refinished and restocked it. The original stock looked like Uncle Jed's whittlin' stick. The front sight looked like it was used to build a house with using it as the hammer.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts