1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my new pistol for IDPA matches. It is a Commander in 9X19 built with a Caspian slide and frame. The barrel is from Schuemann and the grips are from Craig Spegel. The finish is hard chrome by Metaloy.

------------------
Tim Bacus
Bacus Custom

·
Registered
318 Posts
Very, very nice-looking piece, Tim! Two questions...whose beavertail did you use? And whose magwell? Thanks....mikey357

·
Premium Member
7,111 Posts
Tim,
AWESOME!!!
Beautiful work.
Perfect grip safety fits, extremely nice
high cuts and very striking slide lightening!
I notice a unique touch on the slide cocking
serrations as well, looks like they stop just shy of the slide bottom.
Please post more pics more often!!!

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mikey,

Thankyou. The grip safety is from McCormick and the magwell started out as an Ed Brown Maxi Well. After I had it welded on the frame I machined away all of the material that I felt didn't need to be there in order to make it as small as possible. Also with regards to the mag well, I was trying to copy, at least in looks, a magwell that CT Brian did on a gun he had in American Handgunner several years ago. It is also very close to the weld on well that Heinie sells. I blended the grips a little differently but otherwise it is very similar.

------------------
Tim Bacus
Bacus Custom

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Tim, very nice work but I have a question. Why did you build it on a Commander frame vs. a full size? Also, what mags are you using and did you have any trouble getting it to run reliably?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by blinder:
Tim, very nice work but I have a question. Why did you build it on a Commander frame vs. a full size? Also, what mags are you using and did you have any trouble getting it to run reliably?
I built this gun specificly for IDPA competition. My main goal was to minimize muzzle flip as much as possible. I used a Commander length slide because the slide stroke is shorter on a Commander than it is on a GM. Also I wanted the slide to be fairly light in weight so that it would cycle quickly with 125 power factor loads. That is why I used a Commander slide and then also lightened it with the slide cuts. I did not feel that with the close shots required in IDPA that I would be at any disadvantage with the shorter slide. At the NRA Range I shoot at 50 yards quite a bit and this gun is no harder to shoot than my 5" Super.

The magazines are Colt. I played with Metalform magazines but I had problems with them. I had several were the spacer in the back was loose and others where the followers would bind in the mag body. I have not had these problems with the Colt mags. I would not be suprised if Metalform made the tubes for Colt but the Colt mags are definately bult to a higher standard.

The gun has run perfectly from the begining. I have not had much trouble getting 9X19 1911's to run reliably. I have shot several brands of ball, Speer Gold Dots, Federal HP's and Remington Golden Sabers through it, plus several brands of 147gr bullets I have reloaded. All have worked great. The 147gr reloads are sweet! Very soft and almost no muzzle flip.

------------------
Tim Bacus
Bacus Custom

[This message has been edited by tim38super (edited 03-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by tim38super (edited 03-06-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Man...thelines and fit on that thing are outstanding! Beautiful job...

Just what I need...addin' another maker to the wish list

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Premium Member
11,769 Posts
Gorgeous work. Do you have any info on why Colt lightened there 9mm Cdr slides internally on some and not on others? At first, I thought this was just on 9mms, but I've seen it on 38Super Cdrs also.

·
Registered
555 Posts
This is a GORGEOUS piece of work. I'm drooling. Have been looking at gun shows for a while to find a 1911 in 9mm but no luck They are pretty rare birds.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Tim,
A very nice pistol indeed. I always thought that a Commander size in 9mm would be the perfect IDPA ESP gun, even better for women to use.
RT

·
Registered
569 Posts
Tim, I'm aware of the CT Brian Cmdr. you mentioned. I have that issue, and I sometimes look it over because it was a very nice pc.

Your cmdr. is a very distinctive pc. and begs to be "shot alot!" Enjoy.

EricO

·
Registered
346 Posts
Great looking pistol..Do you have the web site for the people who did the hard chrome (Metaloy) or ph.#, address, etc. ? Thanks, as I am considering that finish for one of mine and looking...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by BBBBill:
Gorgeous work. Do you have any info on why Colt lightened there 9mm Cdr slides internally on some and not on others? At first, I thought this was just on 9mms, but I've seen it on 38Super Cdrs also.
I have no first hand info on this although I'm sure there are those on this list who do. I know that originally Colt lightened the slides on their National Match pistols to help them cycle with light match loads.

I would assume that this was also the reason they lightened the original Commander slides. You mention lightened 9 and Super slides but I have also seen 45 Commander slides that had the same lightening cuts inside the slide so I would assume it was also done to lower the guns weight.

Avary, The bushing is from EGW. It is their melt bushing.

Jspy, As far as I know Metaloy does not have a web sight. I don't have their number handy but I know it's been poted on the forum several tiles. Just do a search for Metaloy and I'm sure you'll find it.

------------------
Tim Bacus
Bacus Custom

·
Banned
546 Posts
Very creative machine work on the slide. Looks like your having great fun with your milling machine. Did you buy the slide minus the front scallop cut?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by ociebell:
Very creative machine work on the slide. Looks like your having great fun with your milling machine. Did you buy the slide minus the front scallop cut?
I agree the slide cuts look good but I can't take the credit for the design. Fred Craig of Craig Custom has built guns with this type of cut for several years and I copied the idea from him. The cocking serrations are all mine. I have yet to see anyone else cut them the way I do, especially on the left side were I border the thumb safety notch with them.
You are correct, I ordered a slide from Caspian with no front scallop cut and did my own smaller scallop cut.

Here is a close up of the left side serrations

------------------
Tim Bacus
Bacus Custom

1 - 20 of 24 Posts