1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1004 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
APW Cogan. If it were me I'd let them do it. Or Tripp Research.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hardchrome

Matt.ts
I have had pistols plated in hardchrome by Tripp, Metalife, and Metaloy. The finish can be matte, satin, or high-polished, or any combination thereof. I prefer the matte finsh, although I had satin slide flats on the SW1911. The SW1911 was plated by Metalife. All three platers do a great job, IMO, but the colors vary somewhat. Metaloy is the lightest silver, very similar to stainless; Tripp is a little darker; and Metaloy is the darkest. Tripp is also a terrific full service gunsmith. I like all three platers, and would use any of them again, although Metalife and Tripp's prices are lower. Even though the SW1911 is stainless, I chose to have it hard-chromed because I wanted the billboard removed and didn't like the two-tone appearance. However, I believe that there are also avantages to hard-chroming stainless pistols rather than just steel pistols. The hard-chrome finish is much more scratch-resistant than stainless, in my experience, and there is purportedly less friction between hard-chromed parts. My Combat Commander is also stainless, and I had it hard-chromed by Tripp (along with having the front strap checkered and an extended thumb safety), and I am very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
609 Posts
very nice Brass Balls :rock:

I sure would like to see more S&W 1911 Target (108284) pictures, cause mine still hasn't come through :bawling:

·
Registered
609 Posts
that's very nice bluewater, but you posted those two earlier on in this thread and I'm almost finished drooling on those pic's ;)

but still, tnx for posting

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's my daily carry piece:

S&W 1911SC.

Short Grieder trigger
Heinie tritium 8's
Cylinder & Slide Hammer, sear, disconnect, strut
extended mag catch
rounded MSH
light dehorn of slide
Slim grips
4.5# trigger job
Protective crown on barrel
Cobracoat frame in black
Slide and parts in satin hard chrome

I did all the work myself, with Tripp doing the finishing. I'm not overly fond of the 2-tone finish, but I'll get used to it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
AGTC said:
Here's my daily carry piece:

S&W 1911SC.

Short Grieder trigger
Heinie tritium 8's
Cylinder & Slide Hammer, sear, disconnect, strut
extended mag catch
rounded MSH
light dehorn of slide
Slim grips
4.5# trigger job
Protective crown on barrel
Cobracoat frame in black
Slide and parts in satin hard chrome

I did all the work myself, with Tripp doing the finishing. I'm not overly fond of the 2-tone finish, but I'll get used to it.
Very nice. I like the two tone on it. I'll bet it lost the warning also. Real sharp.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Bluewater,

What are the black grips on your first picture with the three vertical grooves? They look similar to the kimber rcp grips, but fullsize.

Howard

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Bluewater.....

Hey Buddy....Nice grips from Larry.:p :rock: Here's mine with a few mods (mostly cosmetics). I have a STI trigger which I will have a local smith intall. After that, it will be done.....Just put on an EB DI blue bushing and a STI blue GR plug.
No more parts........:D

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
My original SW1911 has a little brother now. :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
SW1911 5" Target

Just picked this up as my first 1911 based on all of the great information on this forum. Very pleased! Thanks!

Shoots great groups out of the box, however, did need to raise the POI about 6" at 15yds. No failures with Golden Saber 230 BJHPs.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 1004 Posts