1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went blasting with the PII 45 today and I crossed 6776 rounds fired out of the gun. Lets summarize the details.

No failures to feed, eject or fire (not that I would expect any).
Accuracy is still excellent, far better then I can shoot.
The gun really likes 200 grn lead Semiwadcutters and can chew up the bullseye with them.
The gun has never had any parts failures and the only thing changed on it to date is the recoil and firing springs.
The gun has never been dis-assembled (I am chicken to do it), but I have cleaned it well every time.
No idiot scratch (yet).

I would say the gun is in great shape and 6776 rounds is just starting to break it in. My only regret is I wonder why I don't shoot it more. Just to many other guns in the rack all calling out for trigger time I guess.

Here is the PII on the bottom and my 10mm heavyweight monolith on the top. My 38 super PII is still on semi-permanent loan. I think I should get some cash for it by now.

I have two regrets about my Big Baers (the ones I bought as the original owner and not used like the super). One is that I have a mixed bag of magazines for the PII 45. Some are the old style, with the thick heavy followers and some are the new style with the thin followers. I hate the new style. Anyone have some old style ones they would like to sell? I could use 3 more!

Regret number 2 is shown in the picture above. I would love to get a logo-ed set of grip panels for the heavyweight monolith. The checerked ones are fine, but the logo-ed ones just look better. Anyone have a spare set to sell?

Take care and lets keep them blasting!

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Peter M. Eick said:
The gun has never been dis-assembled (I am chicken to do it), but I have cleaned it well every time.

Great report, do not be afraid to take it all the way down...the first 2 or 3 times you'll be a little slow but after that you'll do it like _ _ _ _ through a goose. It does give you quite an appreciation for the 1911 platform, makes other guns seem like childs play.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yea, that is a great report on your fine guns. Do you keep a log book on them? After 6k rds you really need to take her down and give her a good cleaning up all over, but whatever works for you.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kept a word doc file, an then a master excel spreadsheet. The word doc file, is a running log of every time the gun is handled, shot, cleaned, or stuff bought for it. The excel sheet keeps track of the commercial ammo, reloads, gun details, and rounds fired. Somewhat complex of a system but it has worked well for me over the last 15 years so i just keep using it.

Maybe this december I will pull out all of my Baer's and clean them. I know I should but I am slow to do these things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts