1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If y'all don't mind, I have a couple of questions about the Premier II Les Baer model -- asking for an old friend that doesn't have internet access (is this even *possible?*). I've never handled on, so I figure I'd go to the well....

1) Sight picture -- how thin is the front post? Is there some nice space (light bars) on either side? Or are the sights "block-looking," if that makes sense.

2) The PII is listed as having a beveled mag-well. Is this just a 1/16" bevel ground on the inside of the well? Or is it actually what you'd consider an effective well?

3) For those that have the 1.5" package; do you feel you've given up something in reliability? I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just wondering if 1.5" would be a liability for IPSC/IDPA gaming.

4) I'm confused by some comments I've read about the thumb-safety. The flat -- or rest -- is wider on the left side than the right??

Thx!

· Registered
196 Posts
PII answers

thought I'd jump in and give 'ya some answers.
1. The sights on mine do not have wide light bars..ie.. the front sight is pretty wide. Standard Bomar Bullseye type arrangement. Cover 'em with some smoke and the sight picture is outstanding...unless the sun is just right, then I have a hard time finding the light bars.
2. 1/6 beveled grind inside the standard well. I shoot strictly PPC and never had an issue with reloading. Fastest we shoot is 12 rounds in 20 seconds. If I were doing some real speed stuff, I'd install a real beveled well.
3. Mine has the 1.5 inch deal. Over 100,000 rounds so far, not one malfunction. Yes really, NOT ONE. of course I broke the gun in properly from the start.
4. The safety is about twice as wide on the left side as the right. Nothing confusing about it. Works good for the lefty and doesn't get in the way for the righty. When I shoot weak side barricade my left thumb feel just right resting on it.

Hope I cleared some things up for you.

· Registered
507 Posts
1) there's just a little light, but I don't think it's slowed me down
2) they come with the small bevel that seems to be Std nowadays. I went with a S&A, then opened it up, as well as the frame.
3) my opinion is that the "Std" ones are a little to tight :) I have a Std fit gun that shoots one hole at 25 yds, no way i'd want it any tighter (and sure wouldn't pay for it to be that way)
4) i'd call it huge and uncomfortable (for me) i cut mine down significantly, it's size was a real problem for me..... simple to do, plently of metal there, so you can fit it just the way you like it.

· Registered
1,118 Posts
I got a PII 1.5" in July and have had a great time shooting it. Very accurate. Didn't have a chance to try a lot of loads yet, but what I did shoot did well. Here are my observations:

1) Sight picture - worked well for me. The front sight does not completely fill the gap in the rear sight and was easy to 'center'.

2) Mag Well - Nicely beveled. I don't care for extended mag wells. If you practice changing magazines from time to time, and don't just try to shove it in at some odd angle, as fast as anything else.

3) No.

4) The safety on the left is very wide (to me). Maybe I have a short thumb or poor technique, but this wide safety makes me change grip position a bit, as I can't keep the side of my thumb on it, but have to put the whole thumb on it instead. This will have to be trimmed down a bit in the near future.

Chris

· Banned
569 Posts
boo - I do not have PII but do have a UM - they are basically the same - so:

If your friend is a gamer he will want a fiber front sight - no question. The fiber front offered by Baer is very small in diameter and thus not as fast to pick up for hoser COF but is an advantage for long shots.

As for the well - the well is just dandy - but then again I have been practicing mag changes religously for several years - and when I do, I do it with an old TRS - makes that well look and feel like a gaping hole.

My UM is also a 1.5" gun I have a whole lotta rounds through it - 15 k ish... Baer guns are all the same regardless of 1.5" or not - they don't like to be dry... dirty is fine. I rarely clean before 500 rounds and generally show up to local matches with a dirty gun (200 / 250 rounds dirty). I just always make sure that the gun is reasonably lubed prior to the shooters meeting.

Safety - the left side is w__i__d__e - like a shelf - it was a little odd at first but I have come to like it for a match gun - you aren't gonna miss it!

Teh P2 is the value leader - the only thing he should do when he gets it is hit the exterior corners of the fakey Bo-Mars with a file - they are like a razor.

Good luck

· Banned
569 Posts
Ramon said:
Don't mean to hijack thread but what exactly does it mean to break the gun in properly? I would love to do it right on my new P II. Thanks
Means, have a burrito and a coke on hand as well as 500 or so rounds ... load mags and shoot as fast as possible - truthfully don't even worry about where they impact (as long as it is down range) ... be shooting at a volume to the point wherein you get the gun HOT to the touch... what you are looking for is a reason to have to send it back. If it passes this test (and I have had 2 Baers that didn't) you are good to go from that point until you either need a new barrel or pinch the rails .... maybe 150K rounds.

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.