1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an entry level Springfield Mil Spec 1911.

What should I do to it to improve it?

Suggestions please. If you can point me to videos that would be great.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I’d upgrade the sights, replace the ignition with quality parts, tool steel -EGW. That’s the basic / minimum.

You can go from there

Front strap checkering for grip
Kart barrel and bushing
Ambi safety
Different beavertail
Cosmetics as far as you can imagine
Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
437 Posts
Have you shot it? What will it be used for? What do you want from it? What ammo will you be using? What is your budget?

·
Administrator
73,049 Posts
I picked up an entry level Springfield Mil Spec 1911.

What should I do to it to improve it?

Suggestions please. If you can point me to videos that would be great.
Congratulations on your new $600 1911. Now go find a gunsmith and have an additional $1500 in custom work done to it and you'll have a decent handgun.

J/K...

Read my signature line. You shouldn't do a thing to it or any other 1911 until you've put some rounds through it and decided what YOU think needs to be improved. Me telling you what to fix on it is like me telling you what kind of girl you should date.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Estimate what you'd be willing to spend on "upgrades", take that money, go buy that much more ammo, and shoot it.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Let me drag out my soapbox.

What the heck do you mean by "improve" it? I have no idea what you intend to do with it, I have no idea what your level of training and experience is and I have no idea what your physical ability and characteristics are i.e. how big your hands are etc, and your going to ask total strangers for advice?

If you ask me, which you have, go shoot the thing, shoot it a few times, not just 25 rounds off your back porch. Take notes about what you feel the gun is not doing that you want it to do. Read all the gun rags and make notes, then shoot the gun again. Think about what those gun rags said and compare them to what your seeing. Look at the youtube experts and make notes, then shoot again and compare what they say to what your seeing.

Then YOU decide what the gun is not doing that you want it to do and then decide if your willing to pay for the upgrades or just sell the gun and get one with the features you want.

OK enough soapbox.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I sent mine brand new unfired to Springfield's Custom Shop back before they trimmed down the options.

Trijicon Night Sights
Flush cut and crowned barrel
Speed trigger
Flat MSH
Hammer and beaver tail
Springfield's 1911 Defensive Package:
1. Deburr pistol internally 2. Tune extractor & ejector 3. Recut barrel throat & polish feed ramp 4. Install custom match bushing 5. Check headspace 6. Install new recoil spring & firing pin spring 7. Tuned 4.5 lb. trigger 8. GI Models: Lower & flare ejection port; install extended ejector 9. Refinish as needed (Additional charge for some finishes) 10. Reliability tuning 11. Inspect & test fire for function
Refinished in Satin Black Armory Kote

Later I added a Springfield ambi safety and Smith & Alexander mag well.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,149 Posts
To my Mil-Spec, I replaced the sear with a "prepped" version that was better finished, added an ambi safety, fitted barrel bushing, and dehorned the sharp edges of the grip safety.
Great gun.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Let me drag out my soapbox.

What the heck do you mean by "improve" it? I have no idea what you intend to do with it, I have no idea what your level of training and experience is and I have no idea what your physical ability and characteristics are i.e. how big your hands are etc, and your going to ask total strangers for advice?

If you ask me, which you have, go shoot the thing, shoot it a few times, not just 25 rounds off your back porch. Take notes about what you feel the gun is not doing that you want it to do. Read all the gun rags and make notes, then shoot the gun again. Think about what those gun rags said and compare them to what your seeing. Look at the youtube experts and make notes, then shoot again and compare what they say to what your seeing.

Then YOU decide what the gun is not doing that you want it to do and then decide if your willing to pay for the upgrades or just sell the gun and get one with the features you want.

OK enough soapbox.
^^^^^^^^^^^^Amen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Other than different grips, if you are so inclined, I wouldn't change anything.
+1. Hogue grips give you a different grip feel, while also looking somewhat distinctive, without changing the overall appearanve of the pistol, for the worse.

Just bear in mind, the more you change mechanically, the less dependably it will shoot, proportionally. I would avoid a lot of unneeded alterations. The 1911A1 is a look, of and unto itself, without enhancement.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
The stock Mil-Spec is a great pistol as is. I love customized 1911s, but I also love stock 1911s. Several guys have asked some great rhetorical questions that you need to consider.

We couldn't possibly know if you'll get get hammer-bite when you shoot. I don't with the stock grip safety. If you do, then consider a beavertail grip safety. How is the trigger? If you're good with it, leave it alone. Can you see the front sight and get hits on the target? If so, your sights are fine. Most importantly, does it go bang every time you pull the trigger? If so, it's reliable, leave out the feed ramp polishing, barrel throating, extractor shaping, etc.

Springfield has already put rounds through it. And it worked. Shoot it as is. I'd put a couple of thousand rounds through it before I'd consider modifications. When you modify them, you can induce other problems, unless you use a topnotch pistol-smith. We have several that post on the Forum. I wouldn't use anyone else.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
What the ? Do nothing except shoot it. If you hit the target, you are good.
You want a more expensive firearm, there are lots out there.
What is your goal?
If you are doing mods and you are not an experienced and good 1911 smith, find one.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Since you want "Pimped" I'd suggest this being done and then get a set of these for your grill to go with it. That pimped enough for ya?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Oh, allow me to apologize, I wasn't aware the OP was a talented gunsmith.
Whether the OP is a gunsmith or not has nothing to do with your blanket statement. Made with no disclaimers. I accept your apology anyway.
Joe

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
Estimate what you'd be willing to spend on "upgrades", take that money, go buy that much more ammo, and shoot it.
I'da swore you were going to say "Trade it on a new Python".......

😂

1 - 20 of 53 Posts