1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon-

While cleaning my Springfield Champion, I noticed that the pin holding the swinging link in place below the bull barrel is sliding out. I pushed it back in, but I began to wonder what held it in place originally? I haven't fired the gun since, as I'm not sure what, if any, damage could occur.

Can someone explain the dangers of such a problem and how to fix it?

Thank you,

·
Registered
203 Posts
You are referring to the barrel link and barrel link pin. The link pin is normally staked in place by means of using a punch and moving a little metal around the link pin hole in the barrel into the chamfered edge of the pin. When the pistol is assembled the pin is not able to move out of position while it is in place in the frame bridge. The biggest concern might be that you could possibly loose the pin and link someplace while taking the pistol apart. It is a simple matter to stake the pin in place and is something you should be able to do without much problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the help.

Yes, I was using the wrong terminology. What do you suggest I just to stake the pin? (As you can tell, minor gunsmithing is not my strong suit.) Does not staking it affect the safe function?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Not staking it will not alter or affect the functioning of your pistol. You just have to be watch that you don't lose the link pin when you take your pistol apart. When everything is in place, the pin can not fall out or otherwise bind up your pistol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not staking it will not alter or affect the functioning of your pistol. You just have to be watch that you don't lose the link pin when you take your pistol apart. When everything is in place, the pin can not fall out or otherwise bind up your pistol.
It has caused binding in at least one members pistol..

See this recent thread: http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62956

My advice is to stake the pin..

R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts