1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pin League (W burbs Chicago) Updated

The tentative date for our first Pin shoot is Saturday, March 13 @ 0830.

St. Charles Sportsmans Club in Elburn, IL. I will post more info in the next couple of weeks.

Jeff

I was looking at setting up a Pin League at my club and was wondering what the interest might be.

Can anyone offer any advice to help get it up and running?

Do you think people would prefer to pay $5-10 and have prizes, etc. or would they want it to be free and just for the fun of it?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am in the Chgo burbs and would certainly pay 10 - 15 to shoot in your league depending on location, and that is without the prizes, just to shoot and have some fun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ditto. I am in the burbs and have a few friends (depending on the location) that would be up for that. What day/time were you thinking? We would pay $10 - $15 - but less is always better.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Pin shooting is FUN !

The Outdoorsman in Winthrop Harbor has one this Saturday. $3 for 3 runs, its only for fun, no prizes. $10 sounds reasonable, if there are prizes to be given. I suggest that you keep a fix round count, 6 for revo's and 10 for auto's. And maybe adopt USPSA's rule in open and limited class.
Where is it gonna be? :) :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a member of the St. Charles Sportsman Club in Elburn. I was going to propose this at the next membership meeting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
St. Charles

JC-

I live near St. Charles (I88 corridor) and have heard of your club. What types of facilities does the club have for pistol - and what are the range hours? Also, how does membership work?

Sorry for all the questions - and - thanks!
AJ

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I have friends that live in that area too! I'm sure they'll be interested, give me a PM once you get started, I'll tell them about it. Its quite a haul from me (Gurnee), but I'll try to make some time to shoot at your match. Good luck!
P.S.
Does your club holds a monthly IDPA/USPSA match?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SCSC

AJ

Here is the link to the club. Full trap, skeet & sporting clays. The pistol range and stocked pond are only open to members. There is a 250-300 initiation fee and annual dues are about 175. Stop by the club on a Sat to try it out. If you are interested in joining let me know. You need 3 members to sign your application.

http://www.saintcharles-sc.org/

Jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pin match

Does this seem like too much.

The match would be set up in two parts.

1- Speed trial - Each shooter would shoot 4 tables of 6 pins. The lowest time would be dropped and the other 3 averaged. One reload allowed. Max time 15 sec.

2- Man on Man - Single elimination. First shooter to knock all pins off the table moves to the next round. Unlimited reloads.

$5 - Member of SCSC
$10 - Non-member.
ROs shoot free

This is a non-profit club so all proceds go to prizes and supplies.

Unless there are other ideas I am going to propose this at Mondays meeting.

Jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PINS

OK, everything went great at the meeting last night. I proposed the attached plan. We are going to do a run through with the ROs in January and have the first shoot in Feb or Mar. I will start a new thread a month before the shoot.

Jeff

SAFETY
All SCSC Range rules apply. Keep all guns holstered or in a case or rug until at the firing line. Holstered guns must have magazines removed and hammers down. Unholster or uncase gun at the firing line only under direction and supervision of the Range Officer (R.O.). Do not handle weapons on the range at any other time. If you wish to handle your weapon then go to an adjacent range or the “safe area “ provided. Ammunition may not be handled in the “safe area”. No Exceptions. If guns are to be transferred to or from holsters and cases or rugs this must be done in a safe area or at the firing line. The Range Officer issues loading and firing commands. Both participants and spectators must wear eye and hearing protection.

RANGE COMMANDS Pin Shoots

 “Shooter to the Line” shooter approaches firing line with gun in holster, case, or rug

 “Load and Make Ready” shooter loads and chambers a round. Safeties may remain off if shooter chooses. Fingers may be placed on double action triggers, but must remain out of single action trigger guards. At this time the shooter may take a sight picture

 “Shooter Ready?” shooter acknowledges

 “Gun On the Rail” shooter places weapon muzzle on the rail

 “Standby” after a delay, a tone sounds signaling the shooter to commence firing

 “Show Clear” shooter presents cleared weapon to Range Officer, then Range Officer permits shooter to leave the firing line

 “Range is Safe” participants reset pins

 “Range is Hot” participants behind firing line, range officer ready to call for next shooter

EVENT DESCRIPTION - Bowling Pins

Six bowling pins are placed on a table twenty-five feet from the firing line and shot to the ground for time. Pins either left on the table or fallen off the front result in a 15-second scratch run. The best three out of four runs are added together for an aggregate time to determine standings. No reshoots for jams. Reshoots allowed for timer failures. Each pin match will normally consist of a Stock Event and a Shoot-Off event. Descriptions follow.

 Stock Event either semi-auto or revolver. Eight round limit, one reload.
 Shoot-Off Event stock or revolver, shooter’s choice. Unlimited reloads. Man-On-Man, single elimination. Winner takes all. Shooters seeded according to their aggregate times in the Stock Event from that day. Shooters participating in only the Shoot-Off Event accept last seed.

Iron-sighted weapons only. No “external” compensators allowed. External compensators are considered to be those added on to a stock barrel or machined into an extended barrel. Match Director’s decision whether guns so equipped may be shot for record is to be considered final. Match Director’s decisions may be arbitrary. Hybrid barrels or factory porting or Mag-Na-Ports permitted.

Match participants for the Stock and Revolver Events will be classified as follows:
 MB (Master Blaster) those shooters with aggregate time less than 30 seconds
 OSS (Ordinary Standard Shooters) those shooters with aggregate time equal to or greater than 30 seconds.

Miscellaneous
 No bullet velocity less than 850fps allowed. Bounce back bullets threaten at velocities lower than 850 fps. The Range Officer may disallow any ammunition he deems unsafe.
 A 195 power factor (bullet weight X velocity/1000) or greater is recommended.
 Pin changes occur at the end of each round or as needed.
 Participants’ shooting order reverses at the end of each round.

Match fees for SCSC members: $5
Match fees for non-members: $10

All proceeds will go to prizes and supplies.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I wish I could get something started like this here in Vegas. Years ago we had 2 places in the Valley doing pin matches . One on Wed night the other on Sat night.

We even had a 22 match where the pins were placed at the back edge of the table ...all out speed match . It proved very popular and most people shot in both the reg classes and the 22 classes.

We would have a 9 pin match every 3rd match where a reload was mandatory between the 1st and last pin. This was a blast.

Kudos to you for getting something started sir ...

I ain't giving up hope on it yet... I will keep trying to get a range to allow us to have a match .

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Me too! Me too!

Jeff,
Count me in!! :) :)
Just a suggestion, can we make wheelgun's with 6 rounders shoot only 5 pins? 6 pins for a 6 round gun seems too much. :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know of a bunch of people from the Twin Cities area that may be interested. However I would need a better listing of events, rules and directions. The typical matches we have throughout MN have 5 pins on either a 2nd Chance or flat table.

If you want to send me a PM I can get your name on your mailing list for the Jan and March Shoots in Rochester (SE MN)

Events are as follows:

Due to range limitations tables are 1 ft deep. Therefore High PFs are not needed but a min of 800 fps and no full wadcutters.

Shoot 4 tables drop highest add rest.

Stock Gun: Semi auto or Revolver: 8 round max, unlimited reloads
Medium Bore: Stock gun with limitation of no .45s
Revolver: Open class anything goes
Pin Gun: Open including hicaps
9 Pin Centerfire:
5 Pin Rimfire
9 Pin Rimfire
Single Action: Iron sights Cowboy guns

Backup Revolver allowed for all events when starting with a revolver in that cat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The tentative date for our first Pin shoot is Saturday, March 13 @ 0830.

St. Charles Sportsmans Club in Elburn, IL. I will post more info in the next couple of weeks.

5 pins per table at 25 feet. 4 speed tables, average 3 best times. Based on times we will have man on man single elimination.

$5 members
$10 non-members
The March 13 shoot might be free, no prizes, so we can get the bugs worked out.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I would not want to steal from your March 13 match but if you guys would like to see how they run them in Holland, Mi., that's the date of the last match there (they do them indoors there in the cold months). They don't go strictly by Second Chance rules, but they are as close as any of the local matches I've attended over the year. They run a verrry smooth operation, last match they had 400 runs (I'd guess there were about 120 shooters). I know the guys there would be happy to discuss the mechanics of the matches with youse. We get some pretty good shooters up there too. Would love to see you there......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts