1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pictures of the signs of pistol cartridge over pressure? I am interested in what is a cratered primer or case separation, but other indications would be helpful.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
absolute truth

The verybest indicator I've found for 'reading pressure' is my chronograph.
Yes, it takes lots of time, and lots of rds fired, but......I have not found any other "reliable" indicator other than the "too late" signs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and the link both are very helpful.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Federal Soft Primers

I myself am curious about the Federal primers being a bit softer. I often see signs of flattened primers but have had several 'old hats' tell me to accept that as part of the changeover to federal. Anyone have anything to say about that who's reloaded Federals before?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I myself am curious about the Federal primers being a bit softer. I often see signs of flattened primers but have had several 'old hats' tell me to accept that as part of the changeover to federal. Anyone have anything to say about that who's reloaded Federals before?
In 45ACP loads, I have found that the fired Federal 150 primers always look much flatter than WLP or CCI 300 primers, all other components of the load being equal. I've always put this down to the Fed 150s being softer than the others.

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Hey! I have one to.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Federal primers are the easiest primers to light off hence why the majority of revolver shooters with ultra light trigger pulls will swaer by them. I myself use federal primers in my S&W 625 with a 6 pound DA pull and only when i'm developing new loads. They will show signs of pressure sooner than any other primers that are available.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I find the whole discussion over “harder” and “softer” primers somewhat of a misnomer.
I have loaded Federal primers for years and compared their performances to other brands and have never found any practical evidence that the Federal brand is “softer” (Whatever the hell that means?)

If anything federal primers may just be more “sensitive” to ignition.
Which I find an advantage when working with powders like H110, 296, IMR7828, H1000, 8700 and the like.

I run Federal primers in my .454 and have never had a failure, or with my .300 Weatherby and 7MM STW.
All of these cartridges operate at 65,000 p.s.i.

Over the last few years I have been using the Federal Match primers.
Mostly for how nicely they cycle in the press and primer pocket during loading.
It’s a pleasantry I have come to enjoy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I find the whole discussion over “harder” and “softer” primers somewhat of a misnomer.
I have loaded Federal primers for years and compared their performances to other brands and have never found any practical evidence that the Federal brand is “softer” (Whatever the hell that means?)
If you really want to see the difference here is what you can do. If you or a friend have an S&W revolver load some cartridges with CCI primers and load some with Federal primers. Back out the strain screw on the mainspring of the revolver to where you start getting rounds that don't fire in the double action mode with the CCI's. Then load the Federal primed shells in the gun and watch them all go bang! Back "in the day" when PPC was shot with revolvers and accurate double action shooting was required only about 100% of the shooters on the line were firing Federal primers if they were using reloads.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
If you really want to see the difference here is what you can do. If you or a friend have an S&W revolver load some cartridges with CCI primers and load some with Federal primers. Back out the strain screw on the mainspring of the revolver to where you start getting rounds that don't fire in the double action mode with the CCI's. Then load the Federal primed shells in the gun and watch them all go bang! Back "in the day" when PPC was shot with revolvers and accurate double action shooting was required only about 100% of the shooters on the line were firing Federal primers if they were using reloads.
There's no question in my mind that Federal primers are easier to detonate than any other brand. I shoot a "semi-race" revolver in NRA Action Pistol, and, as it's set up, my revolver will ONLY pop Federals. And, the same holds true for all other revolver shooters that I'm aware of. When Federals became hard to find a few months back, we talked about cranking down our strain screws and trying Winchesters. Fortunately, we found a supply of Federals. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts