1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very close to ordering a Pistol Dynamics Signature gun from Paul Liebenberg. I am looking for some feedback here from knowledgeable people here. The gun is expensive and the wait time is 12-14 months. The gun would be built by Paul alone.
I visited the company and spoke with Paul about an hour and he seems to be the real deal but outside opinions never hurt.
Any input,, positive or negative would be appreciated...Thanks.

www.pistoldynamics.com

·
Registered
465 Posts
There is probably a very small handful of people that truly know every nuance of the 1911 platform, and Paul is one of them. His firearms are truly top notch.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Liebenberg's got a pretty good reputation amongst real fanatical 1911 devotees... but his following is very small. There are lots of other 'smiths with better-recognized name and reputation. I'll bet there are a lot of folks who'll read your initial post and not know who you're talking about.

There's a guy over on LTW looking for advice on how to sell his, because he can't find a buyer. He's complained that he's trying to sell it for 66% and can't stir up much beyond lowball offers for a response. I think the biggest problem he's encountered is that there's not many folks who've ever heard of Pistol Dynamics nor Paul Liebenberg. My opinion is that his auction is being lowballed by those who know that his fans are sparse, and I think they hope to capitalize on there being very little interest (especially in this economy). At the price he's selling, I'd jump on it because I know the work and expertise are a steal a that price range--however, I generally don't care for PD's aesthetics.

No one ever buys a true custom 1911 with the thought of ever considering their selling it--I mean, ya don't order and pay upwards of 3 or 4G's for a high-line custom thinkin' "I hope this'll fetch a good 'used' price", but you might ponder potential resale market strength before you chose a custom gunsmith.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the responses. The resale value is of no importance to me. One of my sons will eventually get the gun.
My interest is in the quality of his work and , of course, the way it shoots!.
I agree the aesthetics are not very sexy but I think if I order some extra work done with it and get a nice set of Esmeralda grips like I have on my Ed Brown Kobra, it will look good.
The gun will cost upwards of $4500+.
Moredes, how can I get in touch with this seller and what is LTW?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You all are the best. I love the LTW site. Based upon what I've read there I feel confident in Paul Liebenberg's work. I'll probably go through with the deal.
I have to say that Stan Chen's pistols turned me around a bit but he's not accepting orders.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Zenbiker,

I too have placed an order for one of Paul's Scouts and can't wait
till I get it. That guy complaining of selling his, from the looks of the
link that is his pattern of fliping custom guns. I have had him work
on two of my Springfields and enjoyed the improvements he made
on them. Paul is a great character and really a unique individual
in this field of custom gun making. You will truely own something
special, the hard part is waiting for it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I hate to be the one to have the sole dissenting opinion of Pistol Dynamic's work, but from the one example that I've seen, I would really want to see multiple examples of a gunsmith's work before I make a buying decision. The gun in question was a single stack in .40 S&W and was short chambered. Extractor also was not tuned. The gun had feeding/extracting issues. The shooter was very frustrated with the gun and his dealings with Paul in trying to resolve his issues. He finally took it to a local 1911 smith who proceeded to go through the gun and pick it apart to diagnose the problems.

I was very surprised to see this because of Paul's reputation. I am positive that Paul builds good (great by other opinions) but from the one example I was shocked. Unsure if Paul builds them by himself or if he has staff that works with him.

The proof is in when you load up and shoot the gun, not looking at pretty pictures on the maker's website or listening to internet forum hype. My advice is look, touch, and feel the actual guns. Try to shoot them if possible. More than a just few mags. Shoot a match or holster wear for a day. Talk to the owners and get their feedback. Consider that if you have issues and gun has to go back to the gunsmith, where is he located? If he's out of state or not within driving distance, consider shipping costs. My .02 from years of dealing/searching for a good 1911 gunsmith.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one on order too. Going on 21 months and starting to feel frustrated. My advice to you or any prospective buyer is don't pay any attention to the time estimate. I did, and when the 14 month initial estimate came around I started to expect to hear something. Then I started to count the weeks and months - big mistake. Order it, and put it out of your mind which is what I'm trying hard to do now. I couldn't disagree more on the aesthetics. I have not seen anything comparable to the PD pistols (at least the ones in the photographs). They just look flawless. If I ever get mine and it looks half as good as those I will be pleased and will forgive the wait (and post pics). And I'm looking at it as an heirloom too that I will pass on to one of my sons complete with a serial number that consists of our surname followed by "1911". This is not one that I will sell... ever. Spoke to Paul myself for a long time too and he is a very nice man, informative and doesn't mind talking to 1911 beginners. But remember that the longer you talk to him the longer it will take to get our guns!!

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've decided to hold off on buying the gun from Pistol Dynamics. I could be dead in 12-14 months...I just don't have that kind of patience.
The pistols I saw and held at his place were perfectly executed although the slide on his Signature gun had to be nudged back into full battery and there was a small gap between the slide and the rail on the left when viewing from the rear.. Maybe just new/tight but my Brown had no such issues from day one. Frankly, my amateur's eye saw no evident difference in fit and finish from my Ed Brown which cost $2000 less and was delivered in 70 days..
Maybe I'll re-think and go for it eventually but for now it's not happening.
I will look at Nighthawks, Volkmans and some other high end guns as well which I may be able to shoot while I can still walk.
Paul is an amazingly knowledgeable gunsmith and a wonderful no BS person/character and he fostered full confidence in me. He also promised that the Signature gun would be touched by no one other than him. This is TRUE custom. I know he is telling the truth.
I'm sure those of you who are waiting will not be disappointed!

·
Administrator
10,888 Posts
zenbiker decided to hold off, I took a different approach.
You may notice that the Pistol Dynamics gun on gunbroker sold.

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
zenbiker decided to hold off, I took a different approach.
You may notice that the Pistol Dynamics gun on gunbroker sold.
Post your impressions of that work of art after you get some range time in,enquiring minds want to know!:biglaugh:
Regards,
DAT85

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Paul is one of the very top smiths in the country. He would be much more known in the 1911 world but he spent 10 years running the S&W PC.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've decided to go with a Fusion Firearms custom. They tell me the wait is 4-5 months but I don't really believe it. Some have been waiting 7 months.
This just seems to be the name of the game now with so many ordering pistols since the election.
The good thing is that the response to questions/changes in the order has been phenomenal! Customer service seems unparalleled so far. We'll see!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ordered May of '09 and talked to them today and will have it in 2-3 months- A Scout model finished in Ion Bond. If it takes another year it will have been worth the wait. Been waiting more than five years on a full house gun by another pistolsmith- and I know it will be worth it, too.

Custom anything one should triple the time estimate and then forget you ordered it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts