1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know where I can order a pistol
grip with a full shoulder stock for my mossburg 500?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sam,
Keep in mind that the safety on the Mossberg willbe more difficult to reach once you have the PG stock on it.
Some of the Local stores carry inexpensive (hogue IIRC) models that fit Remingtons but come with an adapter for the Mossy 5XX.
HTH
Rupe

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would advise against a pistol grip with a full stock on a Mossberg. It takes the major advantage of the Mossberg away - the well placed safety. You will have to take your hand of the grip every time you have to manipulate the safety.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never thought of the safety issue. I was thinking of being
able to hold it more easily at point shoulder with one hand
like for a reload from sidesaddle or a better grip if I had to
retain gun from somebody grabbing the other end. I know
I should never get in that position but things happen.
I have to think on this one. this is why I love this forum
so much, you get information from every angle. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I have the speedfeed pistol grip on my 590. Without a doubt it makes it harder to manipulate the safety. But for me the pistol grip makes reloading faster, I have better control of the shotgun and if I have to I can shoot 1 handed , it ain't gonna shoot if you don't pull the trigger.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you want Advanced Technology, the cheapest place you'll find by far is www.allenslaw.com $36.75 for the Buttstock with pistol grip.

SpeedFeed is also nice but I'm not sure its worth double the price to have magazine in the stock.

I dont think the safety is an issue really, maybe for dove hunting, but in a self-defense situation I think I'll just leave my safety off!

·
Registered
569 Posts
The issue of the pistol grip interfering with the easy use of the Mossberg safety is a valid point, but if it is kept at 'Hot Standby', that won't as big an issue. This is going to start a war, pro and con, but this is what Hot Standby is and why I recommend it. I only recommend this IF the weapon is used for Home Defense and is kept nearby for use in an emergency.

Basically, after THOROUGHLY checking that the weapon is completely empty, place the slide forward, put the safety off safe, and pull the trigger on a EMPTY chamber. Always make sure it is pointed in a safe direction, just in case.

Then, load the magazine tube to capacity. With the safety still off, the gun is still safe, since no round is in the chamber. DO NOT pull the trigger. Leave the weapon as it is wherever you keep it. What this allows you to do is to grab the weapon for self defense without having to manipulate the safety. This is especially important at night in the dark. You can investigate whatever needs looking at with your weapon at the ready. If you feel you need to, simply pump a round into the chamber when and if you need it and you are ready to go.

Remember that if you encounter a BG, sometimes just racking a round will scare him off, and if that doesn't do it, you are trigger pull away from hopefully stopping him for good.

Once the situation is under control, then you can manipulate the safety under lit conditions until you can return it to 'Hot Standby'

Just my suggestion and 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If I am going to "investigate" something in the dark I'm going loaded and locked. A long gun is more cumbersome in close quarters, even with a 18 to 20 inch barrel, than a 1911. If someone manages to grab your shotgun and gets a good purchase you might need that safety engaged in the scuffle. I know it should never happen, but this isn't a perfect world. A flick of the thumb is faster than a rack of the slide - and you are still just a trigger pull away.

I guess they have 4 cents worth now ddstanle :D .

·
Registered
569 Posts
JRJ,
true on the .04 worth, but you might have started another arguement on which is better for HD, a longarm or pistol. I've seen it happen here, it's not a pretty sight.

It's all in tactics, in what someone prefers. There isn't a right or wrong answer, although some may be more right and/or wrong than others.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do not plan on using the shotgun to investigate or do a
search because of the layout of my home. If I did it would
be very limited. The main reason would be to defend one
or two rooms and wait for back up. It just seemed so much
easer to hold a shotgun at my shoulder with one hand and
reload or use cell phone and not take my eyes of the front
sight and area that would be in the line of fire. I have large
hands and my thumb would not be that far from reaching the
safety. I really do appreciate all of the input.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
To me "hot standby" seems a little slow. If I am in a situation where I need to grab the shotgun I definately want a round in the chamber. I think safeties are meant for safe situations, if for some reason I did go to investigate a bump in the night the safety would be off. Like I said before it ain't gonna shoot if you don't pull the trigger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts