1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My loaded model is shooting low and to the left. at seven yards, its shooting about 5 inches low with a point of aim sight picture. Novak lo-mount night sights. to shoot right, I have to balance the front sight on the top of the target..

The barrel fit is prety loose and moves alot, even backwards.
how should I go about this and how can I fix this prolem. if I have to use my pistol in defence, I don't want to hit the guy in the jewels when I aim at his torso. I am hoping that I won't have to go to a gunsmith. I hope the problem is just me but I also had my instructor shoot and he said it was shooting low.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
My loaded model is shooting low and to the left. at seven yards, its shooting about 5 inches low with a point of aim sight picture. Novak lo-mount night sights. to shoot right, I have to balance the front sight on the top of the target..The barrel fit is prety loose and moves alot, even backwards. How should I go about this and how can I fix this prolem. if I have to use my pistol in defence, I don't want to hit the guy in the jewels when I aim at his torso. I am hoping that I won't have to go to a gunsmith. I hope the problem is just me but I also had my instructor shoot and he said it was shooting low.
Somethings out of whack if that barrel is floating around and your "instructor" had the same results with the gun. You could have another person try her out, but it sounds like something is wrong with that gun. Mine have always been very much right on target.

Call up Springer Service.......lifetime warranty.....1-800-680-6866.....and talk is over with them.

Let us know what happens. :rock:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i think i'll do that... something doesn't seem right. maybe I just need get the brushing fitted? the slide to frame fit is fine - almost as tight as a Baer pistol. I'll call springer up and see what they say.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, called the boys at Springfield (actually, I got girl so I geuss I called the Girls at Springfield lol) told them about my problem, they said that for Loaded pistols the standard grouping is 3.5 inches or better. My waranty is still good so I am going to send it in and see what they can do. My grandfather should be happy since it is technicaly his pistol but he lets m use it so we should bolt be happy. the only problem is giving up my pistol for a while as it's bieng fixed:bawling:

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
This isn't the first time, but I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Does the pistol shoot well, just low and left, or does it pattern like a shotgun?

When you say your barrel fit is pretty loose and moves alot, even backwards, is that with the slide closed on an empty chamber? I don't think I've ever seen a gun that was that loose.

Maybe it would be a good idea to get dad or grandpa involved before you do anything else, assuming they're shooters too and grandpa didn't just buy the gun for you because of your age.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
You really should try to shoot a few groups at 25 yards off of sandbags to see if it meets the 3.5" grouping.

If it doesn't, Springfield will hopefully see the same results and will fix the gun and reimburse up to $50 of your shipping costs.

If they test it and it's within the 3.5" they'll send it back and you won't get any help on shipping charges.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
If the barrel actually has play in it when the slide is closed, it needs to go back to Springfield as it has been fitted incorrectly.

Otherwise, try shooting it off of a rest and see how it groups.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
From my experience, Springfield doesn't care if a barrel has plan in it as long as it meets the accuracy spec.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Low and left is a sign of jerking the trigger.

Not saying this is happening but it is something to look at before you send the gun in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My loaded model is shooting low and to the left. at seven yards, its shooting about 5 inches low with a point of aim sight picture. Novak lo-mount night sights. to shoot right, I have to balance the front sight on the top of the target..

The barrel fit is prety loose and moves alot, even backwards.
how should I go about this and how can I fix this prolem. if I have to use my pistol in defence, I don't want to hit the guy in the jewels when I aim at his torso. I am hoping that I won't have to go to a gunsmith. I hope the problem is just me but I also had my instructor shoot and he said it was shooting low.
I have a loaded model in OD that was also very poorly zeroed out of the box, as well as being quite inaccurate for a $650.00 gun. Springfield should be able to correct it for you, to some degree. Another option, if you want to zero it easily, and have it be more accurate, is to find a reliable 1911 gunsmith in your area and, like you mentioned, tighten up the barrel bushing fit to the barrel and slide, and have him install a slightly longer barrel link (this shoves the barrel up tighter into the locking grooves in the slide), as well as tossing on a set of adjustable sights. Mine went from being a benched 8-10 inch gun at 25 yards (which is horrid) to being a 3-4 inch gun (almost acceptable) with about $20.00 in parts and $50.00 in labor. If you really wanna do it right, a match barrel and bushing, hand fit to the slide, is the ticket, but this can be pricey.

You'll probably also want to replace the hammer strut in this gun (the long piece that directs the main spring's force onto the hammer) with a quality aftermarket piece as, I've seen two others besides mine that broke within 1000 rounds. This is a malfunction that cannot be fixed in the middle of a fight and so, is very serious.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im going to send it in next week, before that though im gonna go to the range and try it out one more time. I was thinking of getting Novaks extreme duty adj. with night dots. it needs milling though to fit on springfield's.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
sights

Springfield has had issues in the past with installing the wrong height front sight. It's been a couple of years now but I had to send 2 of mine back for that problem. Shoot it off a rest and see what happens. Springfield's warranty in the best.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im going to send it in next week, before that though im gonna go to the range and try it out one more time. I was thinking of getting Novaks extreme duty adj. with night dots. it needs milling though to fit on springfield's.
Hopefully they have corrected an issue with the Novak adjustable sight. I had those sights on that same OD 1911 and, the elevation adjustment screw broke several times, and quickly. Mine were a first run set. Perhaps they've fixed that issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts