1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I own a couple of Browns - a 5" Executive Elite and a 5" SF, both in SS/G3 - and I have decided to trade in my only other semi-custom 1911 - a Nighthawk Enforcer - for another Brown.

This time I am thinking about a custom order... My LGS is a premier Brown dealer and can turn a custom around in 30-60 days, and the owner even told me that if I order one and don't love it due to fit & finish imperfections (I am REALLY particular) he wouldn't hold me to the purchase as long as I avoid engravings and custom serial numbers... Heck of a thing, huh? Love that guy...

So... I am thinking about a Commander model... Prolly the EE... In CS/Blue with a solid trigger, with chainlink, a standard (not bobbed) frame and slim grips...

Anyone have experience with the bluing Brown is doing recently? If so, what say you? Will be a range and nightstand gun, but will definitely be subject to some carry wear as well... I read something about premature purpling with the Browns a few years ago... Fact or fiction, these days?

Also... any other customizations I ought to be considering?

Weigh in, one and all...

MOS

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I have the same question regarding their bluing. I am ready to order but if the bluing isn't superb I'd go with stainless and avoid dissapointment.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
George at Gunslingers sells a lot of high end guns: Wilsons, Guncrafters, Nighthawks, and the odd Volkman.

From his web site, Home Page: "For those who appreciate a blued gun, Ed does the best blueing I have ever personally seen."

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
This time I am thinking about a custom order... My LGS is a premier Brown dealer and can turn a custom around in 30-60 days.

Anyone have experience with the bluing Brown is doing recently? If so, what say you? I read something about premature purpling with the Browns a few years ago... Fact or fiction, these days?
MOS

If I could get a custom Ed Brown in 30-60 days I would be all over it. Options are a personal choice. Check out others pistols on the picture thread. See what you like. You should get what you want not someone else's choices. I feel that even goes for custom serial numbers and engraving.

As for the purpling. I thought the nickle content in the alloy causes the plum color to slowly manifest itself. Kept lightly oiled and in lower humidity, I've never had that issue.

I have a SF and SFC with Chainlink and another SF with Chainlink II. I like them all. I'm curious as to how the Chainlink III feels. If I had your 30-60 day time frame I would probably find out.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
I have the same question regarding their bluing. I am ready to order but if the bluing isn't superb I'd go with stainless and avoid dissapointment.
A really superb bluing is correlated visually to the finish.

This is an Ed Brown with a John Harrison mirror finish with IonBond. The IonBond is not as clear as a deep blue finish, but is much harder and far more corrosion resistant. Harrison's finish makes the look.

Brown Classic Custom photos give you another look at a really nice finish on a blued gun.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
You will love your new Brown, sounds like a great set of options, though I do like a bobbed frame for carry, it serves a real function.

As for Browns bluing I say go for it, my favorite Browns are blued. Bluing being practical on a carry gun all depends, in a dryer climate no big worries, in Miami not so much.

I have had no problem with Brown's bluing turning purple, though in full disclosure I did have a customer have it happen.

On getting your custom order in 30-60 days, I do not want to be negative in any way, just give you my experience from years of sales and hundreds of Browns. If you can place a new order for a custom featured Brown (as of late) from any source and get it in 60 days I will personally send you your first box of ammo on me.

Enjoy your new Brown, you will not regret it!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I have two Kobras that are built on carbon steel and bluing. Square cut rear cocking serrations.

Personally I don't care for the spray on finishes so I opted for the bluing. I really like the bluing Brown does. It looks similar to the look of the G3 being that it's bead blasted matte and then blued.

I just prefer bluing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Turn Around Time

With all that has been said what is the turn around time on a custom order ED BROWN.. 5in stainless EE with carry cuts. skip-line ,and custom bushings. flush cut reverse crown, 10-8 sights..????

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
With all that has been said what is the turn around time on a custom order ED BROWN.. 5in stainless EE with carry cuts. skip-line ,and custom bushings. flush cut reverse crown, 10-8 sights..????
I was quoted six months in the last few days.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Contact Hammond by PM, jerry is Honest and has some of the best Customer service around, no BS, honest & Fair.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Actually a lot of established dealers keep rolling orders in the system, and they will slot customers and their specs into those guns as they go along. So if you time it right and use a dealer who floats their own business (i.e does not rely on using customer money to order guns) then you can get a custom order in a shorter amount of time than the "norm".

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
DB,

I understand you never pass up an opportunity to take a shot at me, it is a long established pattern, however you clearly did not read my post, or simply do not care.

I will be the bigger party, have a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Actually a lot of established dealers keep rolling orders in the system, and they will slot customers and their specs into those guns as they go along. So if you time it right and use a dealer who floats their own business (i.e does not rely on using customer money to order guns) then you can get a custom order in a shorter amount of time than the "norm".
Seems like you know a lot about other peoples business or think you do. I will agree that a order with Brown can be changed but that change brings an extra charge.

What I find most interesting about this post is that the op has only two post and they are the same? And they have Never come back - this is the exact definition of a Troll.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Seems like you know a lot about other peoples business or think you do. I will agree that a order with Brown can be changed but that change brings an extra charge.

What I find most interesting about this post is that the op has only two post and they are the same? And they have Never come back - this is the exact definition of a Troll.
I feel like a dummy. I think you are right Harley. It sure would be nice to compare the IP addresses.........

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts

Harley,

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Blued finish would be a great topic to troll. There is no perfect finish and and it is difficult to predict future outcomes based on very small numbers of defects reported over the internet.

Merry Christmas Day and Happy Holidays to all.

Regards,

Craig

·
Registered
12,286 Posts
You nailed it - 2 Trolls in 1 post! I predict OP & DB will receive a Moderator smack-down for Xmas.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts