1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was comparing my new SRP to a buddies SRP that is several years old. Much to my surprise, I noticed my mainspring housing was plastic:hrm: Anyone else noticed a plastic mainspring housing on their new Baers???????

I love the pistol, and the friendly people at Baer, but this kind of bothered me. I expect this on a factory gun for $500, not a $2500.00 custom pistol.

I did get the gun from a store on the East Coast and not direct from Baer. Did it get swapped out?

Todd

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
The MSH on my PII is steel and I agree, it disturbs me to think Baer is going the way of the others and cheapening the product. Tell me it isn't so!

I must admit though, this is the first I've heard of Les using plastic parts.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I would suggest giving Baer a call. I really doubt they would use a plastic MSH on an SRP pistol. It could have very well been swapped out by the previous owner or the gunshop.

Please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I too have a hard time believing Les would use plastic parts. Perhaps someone swapped the original out with a Kimber mainspring housing. Please let us know what you find out.

·
Administrator
10,860 Posts
Baer's website specs out a "Baer checkered flat MSH" on the SRP. Their list of parts includes both serrated and hand checkered flat MSHs in both blue and SS. No mention is made of the availability of any plastic parts. Based on the website, I think it is reasonable to expect a metal MSH. I'd definitely give them a call, and inquire about the history of that gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shot them an e-mail yesterday. If I don't get a reply, I will give them a call on Tuesday. I will post a response when I get one from them.

Todd

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have my hands on Baer pistols all the time and I have NEVER seen a Baer pistol come from the factory with plastic parts on them. I would have to presume that perhaps someone wanted the metal part and replaced it with what was at hand. If Baer has started to use plastic mainspring housings I will not only be very surprised but dissappointed as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, just got a reply from Karen at Baer. She stated they have never used a plastic MSH. Someone ripped mine off it appears. Figures, my luck. I will have to buy a replacement now:hrm: It was sold to me as new, and honestly it had no wear from being fired with the exception of the test rounds.

Todd

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'd certainly be speaking with the seller about the issue. Even if it were a private seller, they represented it as NIB.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a consignment piece. Was presented as new/unfired. Maybe the individual selling it swapped it out. Who knows, I pretty much have accepted my fate on this. I am just going to purchase a new one from Les Baer. I got it for a heck of a deal on the SRP with the 1.5" guarantee and am still way ahead purchasing the MSH on my own.

Raising heck with the dealer and finding who the previous owner was, who would probably state "Thats how I got it" isn't even worth the headache at this point.

Great service from Les Baer again. Hats off to Karen who looked up the entire history of the pistol for me. I have never had anything but great service from this company. That is why I am pinching my pennys for a Stinger!

Todd

·
Registered
673 Posts
If I had my druthers I would rather have a plastic main spring housing. They doing hold up well to being dragged on the ground but other than that they are superior is my opinion to steel or aluminum. THey are far nicer to main springs. That is they main spring does not wear a flat on the OD and lose tension every 10-15K rounds. The spring is a plastic housing can be good 70k down the road. The rust and oxidation is not a problem with plastic.
Just my opinion Ed Henry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts