1911Forum banner

plastic parts

1111 8
i picked up a plain colt steel trigger(10 bucks) and a arched colt steel housing(15 bucks) at a gunshow.took me 25 minutes and its all steel.thought that plastic was not a good idea on a colt gun considering the quality im used to in the earlier models,was told by another smith that the plastic trigger made for a nice lite trigger.i told him to buy a plastic gun and tell me how it shoots.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
437 Posts
I am thinking of building a 1911 out of a cast iron frying pan. And the trigger and MSH out of a windex bottle for weight savings. Seriously the plastic is of no concern. Except to make the gun the way you want. So it's good that you did that standingbear.

· Registered
685 Posts
I agree with you standingbear. Plastic parts are OK on a plastic gun like a Glock, but they don't belong on the Colt. The first thing I do when I acquire a new Colt is replace all the plastic. The only thing associated with plastic on a Colt is the plastic card I use to buy it!

------------------
If it wasn't for the NRA, the second ammendment would already be gone!

· Registered
50 Posts
I like the composite parts in my Colts, so long as the trigger pull is decent, and I never have to worry about the mainspring housing rusting. Plastic parts can be a sign of progress. After all, think of those aftermarket magazines touted with 'self-lubricating' plastic followers. However, polymer framed 1911's are beyond my taste.

· Administrator
80,886 Posts
Plastic in and of itself doesn't bother me. The grips on most of my GI 1911s are a form of plastic, for example. But the plastic MS housing on new guns feels slippery, so I always replace it with steel for traction. The short plastic trigger on my 1991-vintage Officers ACP doesn't bug me, so it's still there. But the long version looks ugly, even more so that there is an air gap above and below the trigger pad. I'm really not too crazy about the three-hole aluminum either. The only long trigger I like is the old smooth steel 1911 one. For short triggers, the old machined checkered GI trigger is tops! The later stamped one was sure ugly, however. Not much there to put your finger on either.

Basically, to each his own. I'd rather see the plastic parts on a new gun though, as I can throw them away while replacing them without feeling guilty!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-23-2001).]

· Registered
233 Posts
The asthetics of plastic parts is the only concern as far as I see it. I normally do not care for such stuff on a firearm, but on my Series 80 STS Combat Commander they look close enough to steel to not offend me. Functionality and durability do not seem to be an issue.

· Registered
461 Posts
"Value leader"- Plastic trigger and MSH and MIM parts all over the place. Price it at 400 bucks, market it as a "tuner's special" or something like that, ready for modification with a brochure of examples of modifications from mild to wild (and a break-in notice to fire at least 200 rounds through it)and sell a million of 'em. Most people wanna replace this stuff anyway. Just make sure it works reliably with all of the stock parts in it.

· Registered
1,564 Posts
Originally posted by Paveway:
"Value leader"- Plastic trigger and MSH and MIM parts all over the place. Price it at 400 bucks, market it as a "tuner's special" or something like that, ready for modification with a brochure of examples of modifications from mild to wild (and a break-in notice to fire at least 200 rounds through it)and sell a million of 'em. Most people wanna replace this stuff anyway. Just make sure it works reliably with all of the stock parts in it.
I still think Colt should make a slide-frame (or, maybe slide/frame/barrel) kit. Once they finish the repro's, they could make a pre80 frame/slide kit cheap enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.