1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been reloading a few months now and all the 9mm and 45acp that I have reloaded have been X-Treme plated RN bullets, 9mm-115gr and 45acp-230gr.. I used these becasue I got them for free. I have used all of them and was looking at the Hornady FMJ bullets which are sold by a local supplier and my local gun shop also carries the X-Tremes. What are the pros and cons to using one over the other? The X-Tremes are cheaper and I already have worked up a good load for them, so I'm leaning that way. These will be used for general target shooting and plinking. All advice and info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Forget plated and FMJ bullets altogether. Try the Hi-Tek coated bullets.
Do a Google search for Hi-Tek coated cast bullets and learn about it.

Try a 100 round sample pack from these people.
http://missouribullet.com/

I'll never buy another jacketed or traditionally lubed cast bullet.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks, but I'm wanting something that I can buy locally.
Then I'd guess you're really going to limit your bullet choices and overspend. All bullet manufacturers are selling online and many have free shipping (Zero bullets, Montana gold, precision delta).

I started out using X-treme plated bullets in 9mm and 38/357 mag and shot thousands. But then I realized jacketed bullets (including hollow points) can be had for the same price or a penny more, as plated and stopped buying X-tremes. I've been having really good results with Zero 125 gr JHP bullets. Very consistent weights and shapes, where plated bullets can vary +/- 1.5 grains.

I also tried some of the coated bayou bullets and they shot very well but I just didn't care for the smoke and the smell haha. I was using N320 powder which isn't a hot burning powder like Titegroup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I worded my question wrong, sorry. I just was curious as to what are the pros and cons of plated vs FMJ. I am not limiting my choice to these two yet, just trying to learn more about these two before i go further. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,841 Posts
What are the pros and cons to using one over the other?
The only pro for the plated bullet is lower cost. The pro for the jacketed bullet is slightly better accuracy.

I shoot a lot of plated bullets because I've gotten some good deals (price-wise) on them. But, the majority of my shooting is with cast lead bullets. I also like the coated lead, mostly because of the colors. IME and IMO, cast lead bullets are the most accurate, except for the premium jacketed bullets like XTP's. For me, the big con with plated bullets is lesser accuracy than cast or jacketed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Something that no one has mentioned is that jacketed leaves the base of the bullet uncovered so there is bare lead showing. Plated bullets coat the entire bullet with copper.

Some indoor ranges don't let you use any bullets with lead exposed. You should use plated or coated bullets at these ranges.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Poster asked about FMJ or plated so why do ya'll chime in with lead and coated lead?

:rolleyes:

Plated is more economical and could be more eco friendly as the entire lead is covered. (as stated above). Accuracy to 25 yards shouldn't be a factor between plated and FMJ.

I use plated exclusively from XTreme...love 'em.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Yep, being able to use them at indoor ranges are the only pro I'm aware of for plated bullets...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear a lot of people talk about the accuracy of the XTP's, but what about the Hornady HAP's. These run a hair bit cheaper than the FMJs.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Something that no one has mentioned is that jacketed leaves the base of the bullet uncovered so there is bare lead showing. Plated bullets coat the entire bullet with copper.

Some indoor ranges don't let you use any bullets with lead exposed. You should use plated or coated bullets at these ranges.
Well FMJ yes but if you buy JHPs those won't have an exposed base.

I informally tested the Xtreme plated 124 gr RN against a Zero 125 gr JHP and didn't see much of a difference in accuracy until I started shooting beyond 10 yards. Inside 10 yards they shot pretty much the same. But I noticed more flyers and larger groups (with plated RN) once I backed up to 15-25 yards - even then it wasn't like a 10" group difference between the two bullets but it was noticeable.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I hear a lot of people talk about the accuracy of the XTP's, but what about the Hornady HAP's. These run a hair bit cheaper than the FMJs.
The HAPs I've used shoot very well. Reloading data is the same as XTPs. They are not the cheapest jacketed bullet going though.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I just got a thousand 124 gr. jacketed hollow point .355 bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading for just under $120. They look really good. Closed base and all.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
The X-Tremes are cheaper and I already have worked up a good load for them, so I'm leaning that way. These will be used for general target shooting and plinking..
if "target shooting" means shooting as accuracy as possible, buy FMJ or cast lead

Unless on sale for cheap, i don't think there are any "pros" to plated vs FMJ
In particular when you can buy Delta Precision or Zero FMJ for the same price
(when bought in 2000 qty)

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So locally I can get Xtreme plated 9mm bullets for .08 each and 45 for .13 ea.. The Hornady FMJ 9mm for .11 ea. and 45 for .18 ea. That's out the door price. I haven't checked online prices yet.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
So locally I can get Xtreme plated 9mm bullets for .08 each and 45 for .13 ea.. The Hornady FMJ 9mm for .11 ea. and 45 for .18 ea. That's out the door price. I haven't checked online prices yet.

9mm FMJ...8.3 cents ea (when buying lots of 2000 or more)
shipped to your door

https://precisiondelta.com/index.php/products/bullet/9mm/bullets-9mm-115-fmj.html

45 cal ...12.5 cents ea (2000 or more)
shipped to your door
1/2 cent le$$ than the plated

https://precisiondelta.com/index.php/products/bullet/45acp/bullets-45acp-230-fmj.html

..L.T.a.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Interesting thread.
I just made a purchase from Extreme Bullets because of the price (free ship & 5% off the list price).
Out side of using lead data instead of jacketed, I figured performance would be equal.
However, the 55gr .224 bullets are jacketed so there shouldn't be any differences (I hope).
Hornady 55gr .224 FMJ are tough to find locally & prices are kinda high on GB.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Interesting thread.
I just made a purchase from Extreme Bullets because of the price (free ship & 5% off the list price).

unless you're a bullseye shooter, they should be more than fine Nork.

when I personally speak of accuracy (plated being least accurate) there's not a HUGE difference in "practical" group size @ 25yrds

example to put it in perspective, if my best gun/load/bullet can shoot 1.25" groups from a rest @ 25yrds, the best I can get out of plated would be a 2.5" cluster with a flier or two stretching the group to 4"

for fast action shooting at 15 yrds and in, that doesn't make enough of a "practical" difference to be a concern

My dislike of plated is mostly rooted in tearing the plating too often while seating.
Yea i know I could flair the case mouth more and/or be more careful setting the bullet perfectly straight before sending it up the seating die ...but with PD or Zero FMJ, I don't have to think about it

..L.T.A.

..L.T.A.

·
Super Moderator
14,623 Posts
Another advantage to plated is that they flatten very well on steel plates, where FMJ tend to ricochet - since I shoot steel a fair amount, I like the Xtreme plated. If you're not shooting steel plates, not a consideration.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts