1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what length do you load copper swc too? Loaded some @ 1.240 and occasionally have a ftf were the tip of the bullet locks up on the bottom edge of the barrel. never had this problem with lead. should i go longer or shorter?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I run my lead swc at 1.255. I have found that when I run shorter I get a few feed failures. I have also noticed that if I load much shorter, I don't get enough grip on the flat portion of the bullet, and can actually drive the bullet deeper into the case when chambering. Try a little longer and see what happens.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I run copper plated 200gr SWC with OAL of 1.50 like my lead rounds without FTF issues. There is more exposed shoulder compared to the lead SWC. That hasn't caused any FTF issues. Both have crimp of .470.

·
Registered
291 Posts
morphius, do you mean 1.250? 1.50" is longer than the mag. ;)

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Wilinaz,

OAL numbers can be a little misleading when we don't know exactly which bullet you're using and the nose/shoulder dimensions.

IMO, a better rule of thumb is to seat a SWC bullet so that about 1/32" (approx. 0.030") of the shoulder extends past the case mouth. Try that for a couple of rounds and I'd expect that they'd feed just fine.

Good shooting.

Rod.

·
Registered
861 Posts
wilinaz, based on my experience, I agree with RetiredRod.

I've used both Berry and Rainier plated 200gr SWC's, and they do have different profiles.

I measured and loaded some Berry and Rainer plated SWC's.

The overall length of the Rainier bullet was 0.626", and had a bearing surface (the straight part that fits into the brass) of 0.338".

The overall length of the Berry bullet was 0.585", and the bearing surface was 0.336".

As the length of bearing surface of each is essentially the same, the primary difference is in the length of the nose.

My concern in loading each was that the amount of bullet inside the case was about the same such that operating pressures for each would be about the same.

I loaded the Berry rounds to a cartridge overall length of 1.210" nominal and the Rainier rounds to a cartridge overall length of 1.255" nominal. Although I didn't measure the amount of bearing surface above the lip of the case, each (Berry rounds and Rainier rounds) appeared to be about the same and had a bit of bearing surface showing. Loaded to the lengths stated, each seemed to perform satisfactorily.

Good luck, Happy New Year, Be Safe.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts