1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting one of these for training purposes and to save some $$$ on ammo. Does anyone out there use this kit? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have one. Runs 100% with high velocity ammo. I use Winchester Dynapoint. Any Aquila fail's to fully cycle even their so called super velocity. Fits on all my Kimbers and Colts. Slide fit will be loose but they shoot pretty well considering. Nice finish.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ive got mine in my range bag right now. Its more accurate than I am and works well with high velocity ammo. It works really well with the Remington 'Golden Bullet' stuff that you can buy at walmart or academy in 550rd boxes for $7.

It looks just like a Ciener kit but its a little more expensive. Ive heard of conversion kits that are suppose to be better than the Kimber, but it does what I want it to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by SHUZ:
Ive got mine in my range bag right now. Its more accurate than I am and works well with high velocity ammo. It works really well with the Remington 'Golden Bullet' stuff that you can buy at walmart or academy in 550rd boxes for $7.

It looks just like a Ciener kit but its a little more expensive. Ive heard of conversion kits that are suppose to be better than the Kimber, but it does what I want it to.
I also have one and I get my .22 bullets from the same places ... Good to see another Louisiana boy on the forum.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Steljena,

About 6 months ago I bought the 22 conversion kit (Kimber) for the same reasons you asked about. It is great for training purposes! Do I save ammo? NO!!! But I blow a lot more ammo down range. At first I probably saved some, but now I shoot as much 45 as before and still shoot more 22. I plan on using mine for squirrel hunting this fall. Should be fun. I use Winchester Super-X High Velocity 22LR round nose ammo. It cost about a $1.74 for box of 50 rounds at WalMart.

I most strongly recommend the 22 conversion kit. It is a ton of fun. Deadly accurate. In addition, great for training. Cannot go wrong at $1.74 for 50 rounds of ammo.

Go for it and enjoy it.

Mark

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
We have one we use on a Stainless Target. It works fine. There is the occasional misfeed, but often that seems to be a problem of the ammo. The hardest part is getting it apart to clean. The procedure is pretty straight forward, but the barrel has to be inserted or removed from the slide at the proper angle or it doesn't come out...and there is not a lot of room for error.

We have used the conversion to help with cheaper costs of training. It is not like shooting a .45, but it is great for working on trigger control type drills since the same trigger feel is there whether you use .22 or .45.

They are an expensive accessory, but worth it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The Kimber unit is from Ciener, but it just has the Kimber name on it(for the extra cost). Shotgun News did a comparison on the conversion kits for the 1911's a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a Kimber 22 cal conversion kit about a year ago. had a few problems and sent it back to Kimber and got jerked around.
It took a couple of phone calls but by then I found most of the problems and fixed them myself.

The most important thing about the 22 cal conversion kits is the type of ammo used. Mine will not run with 36 grain bullets. I found out in calling Kimber they use Remington Thunderbolts. I buy these at Wally World for about $9.60/500 plus tax. CCI Mini Mags & Stingers and Winchester Super X run well also but cost more.

One the problems I had was caused by the top left rear corner of the mag touching the ejector. I added some clearance and cured the problem.

The extractor face that locates in the barrel cutout was hitting hard and not letting the barrel lockup. I removed about .005 inch from the extractor face and got the lockup right. A good polish job on the feed ramp, barrel cutout and extractor face and the gun runs like a house on fire.

Now to add insult to injury a friend of mine got his conversion kit at the same night I did and his will run on any frame we have put it on and cycles with anything you can get into the mag. Go figure.

I like shooting mine so much I'm building a Caspian frame so I can have a tricked out 22 cal. on a full size 45 frame.

The going cost locally is $275 to $300.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a ruger 22/45 8" barrel that I can
shoot a gnat off a buffalo's ass at 25 yards
Would I be a fool to trade this gun and a
little cash for the kimber .22 conversion
kit?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think the conversions are great. I put 5K rounds through mine last year. I have noticed that jacketed/plated bullets feed better. And after 400 rounds or so the feed ramp is dirty enough to keep it from going in to battery. A bore snake cleaner is a good idea to have in your range bag. Had I had one with me last tues day I might have stayed in our .22 mini pin shoot a little longer.

Gunner

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had about every .22 conversion made, including a Ceiner, a Platinum Cup Kimber, etc., and I finally found the best. Marvelprod.com, Bob Marvel produces the most reliable, accurate, versitile unit made. My conversion shoots under one inch at 50 yards with a 4X Bausch and Lomb sight. Check it out, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have one that sits on an old essex frame. Oddly enough it's favorite ammo is CCI standard velocity. It shoots the stuff without a hitch and shoots it right well. It will group a ten shot group from a ransom rest at 50 yards from one and a quarter to one and a half inches.
I'm 57, wear glasses and don't really see well enough to desire more accuracy from a pistol. I'm happy as a clam with this rig.
Yours in Shooting
DVC
Kelly

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone know if the Kimber unit is worth the extra pastafazooles over the Ceiner unit. (It does have the sexy Kimber logo...) Also, any source for the Kimber unit at a good price??? By the way, Postban, thanks for the pix; that is the setup I have (will have) I have the Pro CDP and want to put the conversion unit atop. Almost want to go with the Ciener as they have a Commander length conversion unit available. Does anyone know if Kimber offers the Commander length?

------------------

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello guys, New here but been trying to catch up on a lot of the post for awhile.

I have the Arthur Ciener Platinum Cup unit and shoot it on Kimber Custom Target and Colt Gold Cup Series 70, and it works great. I have read somewhere (?) that the Kimber unit is a Platinum Cup unit with the Kimber logo. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. I recently purchased the Kimber Platinum .22lr conversion unit and put it on a Caspian frame. The hammer spring in that particular frame is a slightly reduced power that's been reliable when using .45s. Thus, my unit works fine with both standard velocity and high velocity rounds.

My unit has been utterly reliable and I have no complaints in that regard.

The conversion unit hit very high, even with the rear sight screwed all the way down. I contacted Kimber and they didn't offer a front sight higher than the one on the unit.
They did offer to replace the entire thing if I'd send it to them. Didn't really want to pay shipping nor take a chance on getting another that might not be reliable.

I looked around in Brownell's catalog and finally found a blank that was high enough and had dovetail dimensions close enough to the Kimber's to file and fit to the slide.

I did this and the gun is now regulated such that POA = POI.

Overall, my particular conversion is not as accurate with ammo I've tried including Federal Match as a friend's Ruger 22/45 nor my CZ Kadet conversion. It's not bad, but it is nowhere near match accurate.

It'll do for informal plinking and target work, but while it's OK, there are likely better available.

Best.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Stephen and everyone

I have really enjoyed reading your posts on the Kimber conversion unit and I have learned quite a bit. So I though I would add a little bit of information that you might find informative, and hopefully helpful. This concerns 22 ammo and what might be affecting the reliability, or accuracy, of your conversion units.

The information concerns how different brands and grades of ammo are lubricated. Basicly there are three types of lubrication used on .22 long rifle ammo. The fist type of lubrication is none what so ever. The brand of ammo that is not lubricated that I can think of off the top of my head is Winchester Wild Cat. This ammo relies on the natural lubricating qaualities of lead on steel to make the ammo feed properly.

The second type of lubrication is wax. Most brands and grades of .22 ammo use wax because it is cheap and easy to apply. Though of the wax lubed bullets on the market, Federal ammo is different. I do not know why, but the wax Federal uses is different, both in its melting temperature and quantity. Federal seems to use more than any other company, which gets everywhere inside your pistol when you shoot, and it can goop up spaces that fit tightly together. So if you have feeding and ejection problems with your conversion units, look to see if you are using wax lubed bullets, and particularly Federal wax lubed bullets.

The last method of lubricating .22 ammo is plating, usually copper but guilding metal (bronze) is also used, to smooth out the friction betwen the lead bullet and the barrel. A possible advantage of plating as a lubricant, is it will withstand a higher temperature than wax will. So it does not vaporize when the round is fired and does not coat the internal workings of your pistol.

Stephen you may want to try CCI Green Tag in your conversion unit to see how it works, it might surprise you. Green Tag works best, or second best, in almost everything I shoot it through for accuracy.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts