1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Standard HP with a ring hammer. When the hammer is all the way down (not half cock) there is some "play" in it.

What I mean is I can "rock" the hammer (pulling back) about 1/8 inch before resistance is felt from the spring. If I release it at this point it will actually stay there until I push it back down.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went to the range today with it and it shot like a dream! I guess there is no problem after all.

·
Premium Member
15,653 Posts
The hammer should be under spring power to the end of it's travel. There should be no free play on a resting hammer - it should be held tight against the slide by the mainspring. There must be some excessive wear or incorrect parts in the gun. If the gun works, does it matter? That I couldn't say.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, the gun works fine.

When the slide is off there is no play in the hammer. When the slide is assembled to the frame, that is when there is some play. I believe it is the shank of the hammer that is slightly binding inside the end of the slide (a little wider than it should be). This could be fixed easily, but I would have to re-blue the hammer after working on it. I believe I will just continue to shoot it as it is and it will eventually loosen up on it's own. :)

I have inspected the hammer pin, spring and sear spring and all look fine.

It goes "BANG" every time with no malfunctions at all with 124gr standard loads and also 124gr +P+ loads (I have a Wolff 18.5# recoil spring in the gun for shooting the hot loads that are used for defense only).;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts