1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little behind on my "library" reading, still trying to get through the July/August 2003 of AH. I was treated (?) to Charles Petty's feature article on the S&W 1911. Where does the misinformation about firing pin safeties end? It's ridiculous! Please permit me to quote liberally from the piece.
[Page 65, left column] S&W has developed a variation of the Colt Swartz safety of pre-war vintage. This one has no direct effect on the trigger pull. Colt's Series 80 pistols with a different firing pin safety are almost universally criticized for the effect they can have on the trigger pull.
"niversally"?? By whom? Can Joe Gunstore tell the difference between a NRM and a SA Mil-Spec? How about some of the junk Kimber's putting out?

[Page 65, left & middle columns] "[Speaking of the Swartz system] It's a simple, effective system that will not interfere with the trigger pull or prevent a properly trained gunsmith from doing a trigger job."
Yep, the Swartz system doesn't bother the trigger pull, but it sure raises Cain when the thing seizes up and becomes a medium sized rock.

Preventing a gunsmith from doing a trigger job???? Hasn't this nonsense surrounding a 'smith's ability to work on a S80 been debunked years--if not decades--ago? The Colt FPS is from the early 80s. Any gunsmith worth a damn can put a fine CCW trigger pull on a S80. This is an enormously dumb statement.

Look, I usually like Chas. Petty's stuff, esp. his handloading column. I thought he actually knew some stuff around the 1911. I mean, wasn't he an AF armorer, maybe even around Ken Hallock for awhile?

My apologies if Petty has already been lampooned on this issue around here. Like I said: I'm behind on my reading.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Some writers for gun magazines know their stuff; many don't. Unfortunately, a lot of the BS gets propagated and the only way to put a stop to it is to write the magazine.

-Dave, awaiting my new series 70

·
Administrator
10,878 Posts
"Almost universally criticized for the effect they can have on the trigger pull." Sure, most people probably can't tell the difference between a Series 70 and a Series 80, but I don't know anyone that claims the Series 80 safety's effect on trigger pull is a good thing. For the average duffer's CCW, it may not matter. In more critical circles, it may be important. I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Look at the popularity of the new Series 70s. Obviously there are a lot of people out there that don't think that much of the Series 80 system.
I mean, wasn't he an AF armorer, maybe even around Ken Hallock for awhile?
He was an AF armorer. I don't know if he was around Ken Hallock, but he trained under Bob Day.

Some writers for gun magazines know their stuff; many don't. <snip>

-Dave, awaiting my new series 70
Emphasis added.
If this was intended to be ironic, my hat is off to you. If this was accidental, then I have to laugh.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
My wife's 80 S Combat Special Gov has a considerably better trigger than my 70 S Colt Gunsite. I don't have any complaint with the trigger, It's just that her Combat Special is the only 80 S gun I have and when I clean it down to bare frame I have to get the Wilson maintanence manual out to get it apart and put it back together correctly. Did it wrong once and wondered why it didn't go BANG and the bowling pins just laughed at me!!! Glad it wasn't a BG in the middle of the night. Both guns are dead on accurate and 100% reliable with any JHP I use. Tracy

·
Registered
900 Posts
I fail to see just how the Series 80 fps is going to be so detrimental to the trigger pull. Lets see, 2 levers and a plunger, plus a plunger spring which looks like it might be cut from a ball point pen? If you have to, polish the mating surfaces and run with it. I have 4 Series 80's, and after doing a very light polishing on said parts, even my pull gauge has a tough time telling the difference.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Should be about 1/4# difference in pull -- not much. Anything near a combat trigger, say 4-4.5# you shouldn't notice anything at all. With a target gun and a light trigger you could start to notice, but for a target gun, I'd use something other than a Series 80, or I'd remove the parts and install a shim. I had a problem with the S80 FPS until I shot one. Factory trigger and it wasn't bad; it's gotten better ever since.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Gun rags. :rolleyes: And we wonder how all this disinformation keeps spreading and getting repeated. Yes, I'd much rather have a gun that might not go bang if I don't depress the grip safety just right than have an inperceptable trigger pull effect. :rolleyes:

Then there was the mag shortly after that that was touting the revelutionary new Kimber with the light rail, like they invented it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Hmmph!

He didn't even mention how much easier the series 80 parts are to eliminate, than are the schwartz parts (as used in the Kimber IIs at least). :D

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Follow The Money Dept - guess who is buying lots of full page glossy front/rear covers over at American Handgunnner? Why Kimber of course. So Mr. Petty just had to do a puff piece for them that month.

Petty had the nerve to write this just about the time that the Series II problems became epidemic. Many hundreds of thousands of Series 80 Colt/ParaOrd guns are out there "taking care of business" every day, without complaints. But he has to stroke a flawed system because Kimber pays his salary.

Gun magazines used to be written for the benefit of the reader - now they are just advertising circulars you pay for!

Warmly, Col. Colt

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Allow me to be the devil's advocate. I'm a writer and sometimes do some gun articles. I propose an idea to an editor and if accepted, do the story. I've never had an editor dictate what the results should be in a story (guns or otherwise and I have over 1500 publications from books to magazine articles). Certainly if any magazine runs some stories on how bad a product is, and that magazine uses ads for income, that product manufacturer may discontinue placing ads in that mag. In the early 1990s I wrote for a motorcycle magazine (four color- monthly with ads). It decided to end the conflict between editorial and advertising policies by going to B & W photos, cheap paper, and no ads. It quickly faded into the sunset. On the other hand a few years ago I did an article comparing four used SAAs. One was a Colt, 3rd generation, which shot groups from 1/2" to 4 1/2" with an average size of 2.47" (all done using a two hand hold on a rest at 25 yds). The mag ran several photos of the guns and about seven targets that had the better groups for all the guns tested. I shoot at 6"paper plates and after a string of shots I record the results and use masking tape to cover the holes to shoot another string. Well some of the targets had some of the previous holes covered with tape. Sure enough, one reader from FL writes in stating that all the targets had to be fakes because what the writer did was blast away at the paper plates and then cover up some outer holes to make the groups look better. I would think common sense would indicate that I had no reason to do that but to this reader my tight shot groups were not possible so I had to be faking it. My conclusion is that the reader is such a poor shot that in his mind no one is capable of shooting small groups so it had to be faked.
I think many, if not most of the gun scribes are both good with guns and know their subject and write an honest appraisal. I will also admit that there are some gun writers (and authors of any other subjects) that are biased or not knowledgable and are not able to write from an unbiased or educated viewpoint. Therefore it is then up to the reader to try and know the difference. Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts