1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently attempting to get a Colt .380, and though what I really want is a nickel Mustang NIB, impatience is begining to get the better of me. Did Colt make a Pony in nickel, or was nickel only offered in the Mustang? What about the Mustang Pocketlite, did that come in nickel?

Basically can someone break down the Mustang/Pony/Pocketlite scenario in terms of what types of each were made, and years would be nice too for you Colt historians.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Try here

http://www.nrapublications.org/tar/Mustang.308.asp

All the ones I have are Stainless, so not sure on Nickel guns.

The PONY they only made for 2-3 year at most, so they are pretty scarce. They tried a scaled up versions called "Pocket Nine". Mine never worked from day one so it went back to the dealer.

The 380's are terrific guns. Too bad they don't make them anymore. I think they would sell a bunch at the right price.

G

·
I HAD a Pockelite I sold many years ago I wish I'd kept now with the prices i see them selling for.... BUT anyway it was a stainless slide with alloy frame gun and was a nice little shooter. Like you say nickel Mustangs are few and far between. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Until you have handled a Govt. 380, you aint lived! I had one about 22 years ago, nickle coltguard, damn I had to sell it, now they go for over a grand, what a fool. I would trade off a few items right now for a good one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got two Mustangs, the Pocketlight SS and the blued version. Got the pocketlight out of the safe today to carry during these hot summer months. I don't carry C&L, but it is such a great handgun and the trigger is so much nicer than the DAO triggers in my LCP or NAA Guardian. The latter two are good pistols, but the Mustang is the greatest in .380 caliber IMHO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's nice man. Do you know anything about a Colt Custom version of the mustang called the Nite Lite? Or the Black and Silver Stallions? and then now i see a "Lady Elite." how many other custom type versions are there?

·
Registered
929 Posts
That's nice man. Do you know anything about a Colt Custom version of the mustang called the Nite Lite? Or the Black and Silver Stallions? and then now i see a "Lady Elite." how many other custom type versions are there?
In 1993, the Colt Custom Shop introduced the Nite Lite .380, a modified Mustang with bar-dot tritium night sights, stainless-steel slide, a Teflon-coated aluminum frame and a high-capacity magazine with extended base pad.
I missed out on buying one many years ago by a matter of minutes, never seen one again. Never heard of the Stallion, sounds interesting though.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have a Pony Pocketlite. Shoots pretty good. Because of the lack of easy to get parts I don't shoot it much.

In fact does anyone know a source of parts that would include grips. Prefer factory originals, but would really look at a custom set too.

Thank you.

Fred

·
Registered
597 Posts
Something like this, Fred?

I need to have a jig made for locating grip screw holes. Maybe this winter I can turn out a couple of sets.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sven,

those are beautiful grips my friend. But the Pony only has one grip screw, and no thumb safety.

But if you can make a set for the Pony, I would be proud to purchase a set from you for my Pony.

Thank you

Fred

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
In 1993, the Colt Custom Shop introduced the Nite Lite .380, a modified Mustang with bar-dot tritium night sights, stainless-steel slide, a Teflon-coated aluminum frame and a high-capacity magazine with extended base pad.
I missed out on buying one many years ago by a matter of minutes, never seen one again. Never heard of the Stallion, sounds interesting though.
They are nice little guns.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nickle Mustang

Yes the pic of the nickle Mustang is factory, but the grips are not. I picked this up last year as I haven't seen too many

The Southern Belle was apparently another custom shop variation of the Mustang.

Here is a pic of another little pony I picked up - this one has the Colt custom shop stamp on it

Attachments

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
If you got to Dallasguns.com, there is a NIB mustang in nickle. The dealer is Gary Parker. It is on the high side around 900 as I recall. It has been on there for over a year.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Yes the pic of the nickle Mustang is factory, but the grips are not. I picked this up last year as I haven't seen too many

The Southern Belle was apparently another custom shop variation of the Mustang.

Here is a pic of another little pony I picked up - this one has the Colt custom shop stamp on it
Are you like in the right place at the right time or just born under a lucky star? I just do not see them here in SOCAL.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts