1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me better understand differences and quality of the Series 70 original vs. the new 70 replica, and on some guns, on the R/S roll marks some say "Colt Government Model" or "Government Model" and some say "Series 70" what is the difference? In addition, what were the years the original Series 70 were manufactured.

2nd...The "Series 80" and again on R/S roll marks some say "Colt Government Model" or "Government Model" and some say "Series 80" is there a difference and what years were the Series 80 manufacture?
Is there one Series 80 better then the other?

3rd…Now what is the differences with 1911 A1 vs. Series 70’s and Series 80’s

Last...Between the two Series, 70's and 80’s which gun is of better quality and holds best resale value.

I apologize for my ignorance, but I was unable to locate any answers for my searches.

Thank you

Joseph

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,288 Posts
Series 70 was introduced in the early 1970s, and ran until the early 1980s. S70 Government Models and Gold Cups had a "collet" barrel bushing, which was supposed to provide better accuracy than a plain, cylindrical bushing. There were problems with the bushings breaking, and being damaged by gun owners, so Colt dropped S70. Series 80 did not so much replace Series 70, as it added a new feature, the mechanical firing pin block. A few additional small parts made it all but impossible for the firing pin to drop unless the trigger was pulled; it's essentially a "drop safety". Two or three years into S80 production, the collet bushing was dropped, and people began referring to any 1911 without a firing pin block as "Series 70", whether it was a Colt, or not. Series 80 continues to this day; other than some Custom Shop guns, such as the WWI and Series 70 reproductions, all new Colts are Series 80. Note, the Series 70 reproduction isn't really a Series 70 at all, as it doesn't have a collet barrel bushing.
Roll marks have changed over the years. If the gun has a large "COLT MK. IV" rollmark on the left side, it is a Series 80 gun, regardless of what else is, or isn't stamped on it. All Series 70s have "Mk. IV/Series 70" stamped on the left side.
M1911A1 is the military designation for pistols made after the mid-1920s until the mid-1940s. Colt's commercial pistols, which were essentially the same as the military models of a given era, were, and still are, stamped "Government Model". Government Models made between the end of WWII and the introduction of the Series 70 were essentially built to the same specs as the last of the military pistols, other than finish and other small details.
The Series 70 repro is better-finished than the similar Series 80 "New Roll Mark" model. Other than some minor variations in configuration - trigger, mainspring housing, grips - the guns are very similar. The price difference is about $100, so you have to decide if the minor differences are worth it. Some people really dislike the firing pin block, while others couldn't care less; the former might pay a premium for lack of S80.
There is also a separate model line, usually referred to as "XSE", which has more of the modern "features", such as extended controls, bulkier sights, extra cocking serrations, that the modern market wants.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts