1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I’ve just finished putting almost 1500 rounds through my Loaded Champion in the past month I’ve had it. It has performed beautifully.

I’m still new to 1911’s. As I understand it I should start looking at some spring changes soon. I have spent quite some time searching for all the info but am only getting bits and pieces.

I’m using the average 230gr. FMJ ball ammo. Can someone point me to where I can find ALL the springs I need to start considering to change? It also looks like there is an alternative to the dual recoil setup, but I can’t find definitive information and EXACTLY what the alternative is. I also can’t seem to find the dual recoil springs. The closest I’ve come is on Wolff’s site, but there is a disclaimer that says “these springs are not intended for use for dual recoil setups.”

I’m just trying to figure out exactly what I need to be looking at to change as far as springs are concerned.

Chris

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
If you're not having problems with your Champion, I don't think you will need to worry about springs for a long time. I would call SA customer service and ask them the question you are seeking. They are very nice and will be happy to answer your questions. I have a LW Loaded Champion and the only spring I will replace is the recoil spring located in the slide. It comes as a one piece unit with duel springs and guide rod.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are getting close to the recommended round count for replacing the recoil spring...you can get all the springs you want here...
http://www.gunsprings.com/Resources/welcomeNOF.html
I've been there. But when I go there I see this message:

RECOIL SPRING are available in load-rated specifications to adjust the recoil function to individual needs. Each load rated recoil spring includes an extra power firing pin spring.
Note: Springs not for use in dual recoil spring models

So, I can't figure out where to order the springs I will need from.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
After only 1500rds this should be all you need to replace.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=24872&st=champion recoil spring&s=

For 230gr factory hardball, go with the factory standard spring weight of 22lbs.

The 24lb spring will work also but will require full power loads (like the 230gr FMJ)
and might malfunction with lighter loads like reloads.

Buy both, see which you like better.
Don't mix them up, you can't tell the difference just by looking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you sir. thank you.

Now, do you know if they can be had in chrome silicon?

·
Registered
364 Posts
if you need another dual recoil spring setup I think you have to order it from SA, as it comes all as one piece.
If you want to just get a single recoil spring then you'll need to buy a new guide rod to accompany that.
I tried wilson combat's 24lb spring and FLGR and didn't like it. I thought it would make disassembly easier, which turned out not to be true once i learned how to disassemble the champion without a tool, and the spring failed to return to battery often.
I switched back to the dual recoil spring set up and it's been flawless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts