1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am anticipating my retrieval of my FOID card, I have narrowed my purchase down to TWO guns... Help me decide which is better...

S.A. Operator
Kimber Warrior

Owners, please chime in and help me

I've read reviews on both of them and both of them seem to be extravagant guns. I can't decide which I would rather have...

·
Registered
135 Posts
As I am anticipating my retrieval of my FOID card, I have narrowed my purchase down to TWO guns... Help me decide which is better...

S.A. Operator
Kimber Warrior

Owners, please chime in and help me

I've read reviews on both of them and both of them seem to be extravagant guns. I can't decide which I would rather have...
I like the Springer, but i've got kind of a bias to Springfield 1911's. You can't really go wrong with either gun, but I do have to say Springfield's customer service is the best in the business, so that would be a plus for the Operator

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the Springer, but i've got kind of a bias to Springfield 1911's. You can't really go wrong with either gun, but I do have to say Springfield's customer service is the best in the business, so that would be a plus for the Operator
Thank you.
Do they sell mags made specifically for the operator?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do they sell mags made specifically for the operator?
The Operator uses standard 1911 magazines, just like the Kimber. Any standard, full size 1911 magazine will fit. Springfield, last I checked, supplies their pistols with Metalform magazines. They're decent magazines athough the stock spring could be heavier. I'm partial to Checkmate's hybrid feed lip magazines though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
They're pretty equal, IMO. There's nothing about the Springfield's components or workmanship that put it markedly ahead of the Kimber, assuming equal cost.

I'd get whichever one feels better in your hand. And if that's equal, get the cheaper one.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
... Help me decide which is better...

S.A. Operator
Kimber Warrior...
Which Springer Operator are you referring to?

Champion Operator
Full size lightweight Operator
MC Operator
TRP Operator

Just curious. (there is at least two more I can think of)

My TRP Operator is just awesome.:):)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which Springer Operator are you referring to?

Champion Operator
Full size lightweight Operator
MC Operator
TRP Operator

Just curious. (there is at least two more I can think of)

My TRP Operator is just awesome.:):)
Good question. Upon a little more investigation, it seems the only difference between the 2 that I want (TRP/MC) are just the rail sizing and the barrel protrusion. Is this correct?

I'm actually leaning toward the TRP a little more...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I've got a Warrior and it has been flawless. Springfields are nice, but they never turned my crank. Try them both if you can.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
There are a few differences between the MC and the TRP OP.

The TRP OP has a bushingless bull barrel; the MC has a standard barrel and bushing.

The TRP OP has sweet adj night sights; the MC has fixed night sights.

All TRPs have front strap checkering at 20 LPI; MC has no checkering.

The TRP has sweet G10 grips; the MC has rubber rap-arounds:barf:.

The TRP is all black armory coat; the MC has a green frame/black slide.

Half rail is the same between the two. :):)

Try to handle as much as you can before you make a purchase.

You'll pay more for a TRP OP, but I think the extras are worth it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Operator uses standard 1911 magazines, just like the Kimber. Any standard, full size 1911 magazine will fit. Springfield, last I checked, supplies their pistols with Metalform magazines. They're decent magazines athough the stock spring could be heavier. I'm partial to Checkmate's hybrid feed lip magazines though.

I've never had a problem with the factory magazines from my Springfield, I did add bumpers to them though (like $10 for three of them from Brownells). If they're still putting the loaded coupon in with the guns, it's a good way to get a lot of good magazines for REAL cheap.

as for the springs, that is an easy upgrade as Wolf (I believe) makes some heavier springs you can replace your factory ones with

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
A new full rail is special order from the custom shop. It is no longer a production gun. There are nice used examples around.

May the hunt begin!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts