1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new here, and I am sure you have all heard this one a zillion times, but here it is again.

I have a RIA govt model which I Love, but it bites!.
I have heard that I can get a drop in beavertail that will fit, I have also heard i can buy a wilson combat beavertail grip and a filing jig to make it fit.

I need to fix this.............Can anyone tell me if they have used either of these methods, and if it worked for them. I really need some input.

Thanx in advance

P.Smith :confused:

·
Registered
103 Posts
i had the Wilson grip fitted to mine by a gunsmith.. get a new hammer, or cut the spur down on the stock one to work with it.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Try www.wilsoncombat.com or www.kingsgunworks.com for "drop in" grip safeties. Or better yet go whole hog and www.brownells.com it for them.

There are two types of bites: 1: where the fleshy part of the hand gets caught between the hammer and the grip safety spur (or sometimes the hand just gets whacked by the hammer) and the shooter ends up with a "--" mark on the hand. 2: where the fit between the grip safety and the frame is not blended so there is a smooth surface for the hand to hold on to and the shooter ends up with "l l" marks on web of the hand. #1 has an easy fix; lop off part of the hammer spur and touch up the bare metal with cold blue. #2 requires more machine work and more of the pistol to be refinished.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I bought an S&A beavertail and jig and installed them on mine and it cured the bite.

You can also put a band-aid on your hand where it's being nipped. That will cure it. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I installed the wilson drop-in beavertail on my RIA .38 Super and was very
pleased with the fit. It was truly a drop-in. There is a very small gap between the frame and beavertail, but I can live with it. This is a low cost
and time saving way of installing a beavertail. My pistolsmith was rather
impressed with it also.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
scooter13 said:
I installed the wilson drop-in beavertail on my RIA .38 Super and was very
pleased with the fit. It was truly a drop-in. There is a very small gap between the frame and beavertail, but I can live with it. This is a low cost
and time saving way of installing a beavertail. My pistolsmith was rather
impressed with it also.
did a drop in on mine.. it went right in no problems and worked like a champ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts