1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a Colt 1911 marine from a local gun store. I don’t really know anything about 1911’s but I knew that I wanted to get into them so I found one I liked. After I got it home, I took a look at the box it came in and I searched the model number, which is O1070M45. I kept finding the Colt M45A1 every time I searched it. Looking at the M45 and the gun that I got, I realized that they were not the same. The serial number on the box matched the serial number on my gun so I know I didn’t get the wrong box. Serial number ended in EGA. So on the slide of my gun it says Colt Rail Gun and the slide is black. It came with the 7 round Wilson Combat mags and it has a match barrel and the g10 grips and it also has the Novak sights. The frame is tan and on the box it says it has the zinc ion bond finish. I called Colt today and the guy I talked to said that my gun shipped from the factory as an M45A1 so I’m lost and wondering if anyone can give me more information or maybe give me options on what I can do about this.
Very much appreciated...thank you!

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I hope this helps.
Yeah, I have been to that exact same page many times. My gun has everything on that page except for the slide being black and saying colt rail gun and no ambidextrous safety. I’m just curious about my gun because I payed a good amount of money for it and I want it to be right...ya know.

· Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, I have been to that exact same page many times. My gun has everything on that page except for the slide being black and saying colt rail gun and no ambidextrous safety. I’m just curious about my gun because I payed a good amount of money for it and I want it to be right...ya know.
Yes, the black slide doesn't seem correct. I wonder if the gun store swapped it for some unknown reason. Does the slide have a number on the bottom of the rail and if so, does it match?

· Registered
15 Posts
I don’t think a original slide would have colt rail gun stamped on it
You are right - doesn't make sense. I have a Girsan "1911 Reserve". (Made in Turkey) It looks identical ot the M45A1 except all black. It has the Picatinny rail, the ambo safety, Novak sights, but not the double recoil spring setup. On the bottom rail of the slide is the serial number stamped in which matches the one on the frame. You have to remove the slide to see it. I don't know if Colt numbers their slides like this, but if so it would tell you whether the slide is original to the gun.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don’t think a original slide would have colt rail gun stamped on it
I agree completely. I’m wondering if I got screwed on this thing honestly. I’m also assuming that colt wouldn’t send me the proper slide for it either. I also typed in my serial number on the colt website and it didn’t show anything for it.

· Administrator
80,918 Posts
I think you need to contact someone at Colt and send them those pictures. Colt has a REALLY bad habit of using up leftover parts in their guns, and many people have ended up with some bizarre one-of-a-kinds. That kind of thing would really cheese me off, because when I order a particular model I expect it to be made exactly to the specifications of that model, right down to the markings.

· Registered
2,920 Posts
Another member has one. But it came with ambi safety and M45A1 marked black slide. Same model number O1070M45. Colt is notorious on using whatever parts available to put together their guns. I am not surprise that we see so many different variants on the same SKU# pistols.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you need to contact someone at Colt and send them those pictures. Colt has a REALLY bad habit of using up leftover parts in their guns, and many people have ended up with some bizarre one-of-a-kinds. That kind of thing would really cheese me off, because when I order a particular model I expect it to be made exactly to the specifications of that model, right down to the markings.
I agree for sure. I have tried contacting colt about it but I feel like the person I talked to just kind of blew it off. I’m not upset with the gun but I want it to be what it’s supposed to be.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.