1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is of course no such thing as "The Best" anything... But, generally we accept that certain brands become the face of a quality class. For example a Rolls-Royce may not be better than a Maybach, but people generally understand what is meant by a comment like, "______ is the Rolls-Royce of dishwashers".

I want to be able to load large volumes (100s to 1000s at a time) of pistol, rifle and shotgun cartridges. Please rank, approximately, which are the top half dozen, multi stage presses, from the Rolls-Royce down.

BTW, I think the front of a new Maybach looks like something made by KIA.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I don't know about the Rolls-Royce analogy but with the exception of one guy, everybody else I know that uses a progressive use Dillons.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Dillon
Hornady
RCBS
Lee

All the above are "better" than a Lee. That being said, I wouldn't trade my Lee Pro 1000 for any of the above presses. The lee requires a little more "tinkering", isn't faster, or smoother.

But it costs a LOT less. and has mechanics that I prefer much more.

I like the powder measure disks better than a constant adjustment to change powder or charge wgts.
I like the primer tray vs. primer tubes.
I like to be able to remove any case for inspection and replace it back in its original place or leave it out and not throw out the syncrinazation (sp?) of the press.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Thank you. Are you able to rank your other choices from to 2-6?
If it were me it would be;

Dillon
RCBS
Lee

I don't know enough about Hornady.

I say that even though I load with a single stage Lee that I am very happy with. If/when I go progressive it will be a Dillon.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I say:

Hornady
Dillon
Lee

They all work, personal preference thing. It's about your workflow preference, and the small details of each machine. Dillon's have a lot of quirks that drive me nuts, even though they are tanks of superb quality.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
1. Dillon 1050
2. Dillon 550
3. Dillon 650

Yup, been using them for 25 years (well the 550, but I have operated all 3) and I'm sold on them and on Dillon as a company.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
To echo an earlier reply, do you see what's happening here? In reality, these kind gents are telling you what they prefer, but not WHY! Head on over to a large online retailer like Midway and read the product reviews from both satisfied and dissatisfied customers. Then you can rack and stack them based on several hundred detailed, objective reviews. Spend your money wisely and you'll be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
To echo an earlier reply, do you see what's happening here? In reality, these kind gents are telling you what they prefer, but not WHY! Head on over to a large online retailer like Midway and read the product reviews from both satisfied and dissatisfied customers. Then you can rack and stack them based on several hundred detailed, objective reviews. Spend your money wisely and you'll be happier in the long run.
Doesn't work if that retailer does not carry all of the brands being discussed.
Listen to the folks here who have been pulling handles on these machines for YEARS.
The OP asked for the "Rolls Royce" of reloading machines, as was stated earlier must of us use Dillon products with great success.
Other folks swear by Hornady.
Then there are folks who love their Lees' ,cheapskates:D.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The OP asked about "large volumes" of rifle and shotgun cartridges too.

Which is the Rolls Royce of progressive shotgun presses? One of the MEC products?

If "rifle" means 5.56 NATO to you, then maybe Dillon is the answer. But what if "rifle" means .30-06?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
#1 would be a camdex or ammoload.

For me one of my Automated 1050's would be #1. Like this one http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmorrismetal/media/VIDEO0114.mp4.html
It also has a built in swager so it removes a step in the process that would add time with any other press, when loading brass with crimped primer pockets.

Before I built them I used bullet and case fed 650's

This is how they work.
http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jm.../VID_20130305_152550_802_zps7819706b.mp4.html

Note the machines still retain the powder check despite also having bullet feed and seat/crimp in two stations. I left off any #3 because they are the only two capable of that.

For shotgun presses the Spolar Gold is #1.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you drive a Ford buy a LnL ap, if Chevy then buy a Dillon. Dodge, Lee presses. Honda, KIA, etc, then you’re looking at Smart Reloader presses.

Rolls-Royce, well, none other than a Camdex

Whatever you do, make sure you take your time and learn the press. Any one of them will turn out good ammo

·
Registered
808 Posts
Shotgun progressive I swear by the tried and true Hornady 366. My brother loves Mec, and my Dad is now a Posness man. Again, all great machines, comes down to personal preferences.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Which is the Rolls Royce of progressive shotgun presses? One of the MEC products?

If "rifle" means 5.56 NATO to you, then maybe Dillon is the answer. But what if "rifle" means .30-06?
Pistol

9mm and 45 ACP, probably 10mm and .40 S&W in the future

Rifle

.308/7.62 NATO, 303 British and .223/5.56 NATO in the future

Shotgun

12 gauge (up to 3"), maybe 20 in the future.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you want a quality, trouble free, easy to operate,easy to maintain-get a Hornady LNL AP. Plus 500 free Hornady bullets of your choice.I and my son have each owned one for 5 years and love the ease of operation. Switching between calibers is simple and straight forward.At about $425.00, this press is a press that will last you a lifetime. I hear the Dillon press is a good one too!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts

Dillon does make them all.
But since I own a few MEC 9000's, I'll vote for them.:)

Don2

·
Registered
551 Posts
1. Dillon 1050
2. Dillon 550
3. Dillon 650

Yup, been using them for 25 years (well the 550, but I have operated all 3) and I'm sold on them and on Dillon as a company.
Ditto!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts