1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let all of you know that I LOVE THIS FORUM !!! With all the 'you should buy a Kimber' dealers etc. It just feels darn good to be in with a bunch of enthusiastic Colt owners! All of you see what I see, a gun that appreciates in value, is worth buying and putting money into, is of heirloom quality IMHO, and hey "They are Colts! When I am at the gunshow and looking at a Colt some dumb seller will say, you know what you need? you need a Kimber, or this Springfield (I do have a Kimber Custom Classic, first one sold in my state) and I say, "why, so the value can drop in half the minute I shoot it?" "I have Colts that are worth more now, and I have shot them, then they cost new, why would I throw my money away?" They all look at me funny and then say, "ya, I guess your right about that" Always makes me smile. I did just buy a new Wilson Combat CQB compact this week, what a nice piece of equipment! But, Is it 3 time the gun that any of my Defenders are? NO WAY! The Defender is by far the BEST factory produced lightweight 45 ever! I would put it up against any Springfield, Kimber, or anyother production gun. If my Wilson is as good as my Defneder I will be very happy with it and it was $1850.00! Anyway, just wanted to tell you guys thanks for letting me be here, great guys, great guns, now if we can all just come up with some ground floor "Amway" type deal we could all get rich off of....

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey Idontknowyou,

I agree this is a great forum with lots of nice people willing to share alot of good information.Bout' 2 months ago I basically knew dic about 1911's.Now I think I'm becoming addicted to all things Colt.I've purchased one, and am trying to skeem on how to get another.

I REALLY like the Defender,fondled my first one today.Previously I leaned toward the kimber ultra CDP(very nice looking),but ya know after checking the both of them out, IMO the Colt just has a more quality,substantial feel to it.Now this could just be in my head,but the Kimber(*although from the Custom shop)seems more of a massproduced commodity.Maybe the fact that every shop I go into has at least a half dozen of these sittin in the case has somthin to do with it?LOL.

Anyhow,the Defender really felt good.It was tight and had that slide on rollerbearings feel to it(unfortunatly where I found it was asking $750 LMAO!!,when I've been quoted $599 elsewhere,but thats another thread)and these fella's on this forum have me convinced that Colt is really the only peice with long term value and appreciation"The Real Deal" so to speak.

Nice talkin at ya,enjoy.Byron

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Some time ago, I ran into a tidy sum of money. Not a lot, but just enough to make you think of the things that you have wanted, but were just out of reach.

Like good handguns......

I had enough to buy any pistol I wanted. I studied long and hard. But one thing kept drawing me back, over and over again.

That picture of a rearing horse kept invading my mind.

Finally, I made my decision, and bought a Series 80 Enhanced M1911, in .45 ACP.

Why?

I like them, that's why. And, in the world of handguns, nothing--and I mean NOTHING--commands as much respect when talking about fighting handguns as the phrase, "Colt .45".

A simple exercise........

Ask any one of your gun savvy friends. If you laid out all the available .45 semiautos on a table, and told them they could have any one they wanted, for free, which would they pick up?

THAT'S why I bought the Colt. I have used it as a defense gun, and as a house gun.

I now carry it as a duty gun. I trust my life to it.

Need I say more?

[This message has been edited by Powderman (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts
I have GI .45s from Colt as well as most all of the contractors. Rem-Rand, Ithaca, US&S. I have a Kimber. Used to have a Para-Ord and Springfield. Nonetheless, if I could only own one of them it'd be one of my Colts. Even the Union Switch & Signal would go before my '43 Colt. I think that says something.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Here's my 2 cents about Colt: read my signature! That's how I feel!

Regards, NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
No doubt about it, it is hard to beat the genuine article. Aside from the money I've chosen to put into custom/semi-custom guns, my 1911 dollar goes to Colt -- every time.

Fortunately for me, and all of those like me, Hartford has never turned out a better 1911 than they are doing right now. In the words of our own Col. Colt: "Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

Chuck

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I read every word of your post Udontnome. I think your one of us forever. Because a Colt is like a Nissan or Chevy owner. Everything else is inferior and, nothing is as good. Everyone else just looks at the markings. But the markings are what we demand. And you can't have my beer. And you had me at hello!

·
Registered
218 Posts
About two weeks ago, I was in a gun shop when I heard the guy behind the counter tell another customer "Kimber makes the best .45 now." At this moment, I was eyeing a new Colt stainless 1991-A1, the only one in shop. The guy's remark annoyed me so much that I bought the Colt then and there just to relieve him of the awful burden of having one of those "crappy" Colts. The pistol, BTW, is well-made with a crisp 5# trigger, from the factory. This one is staying box stock.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by CastleBravo:
Now if they would only take those *&%$^#(*&) hideous 1991A1 rollmarks off and replace them with something respectable...

And I agree that Colt has made some of the sweetest firearms EVER.
Have you seen the new "Government" model 1991? Looks really nice, might have to get one myself.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
Not everyone in Coltsville is a happy camper. I recently bought an M1991 Commander and it's a piece of crap. Four inch groups at 7 yards. I wouldn't give you 10 bucks for a bucket full of Colts.

------------------
ElrodCod
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
For my money I find a nice 38 super,10mm,45acp or 9mm 70 series add $300.00 worth of parts and a little time and I end up with a family heirloom I wouldn't trade for the world. Nothing in that price range feels and balances like a Colt......nothing.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by ElrodCod:
Not everyone in Coltsville is a happy camper. I recently bought an M1991 Commander and it's a piece of crap. Four inch groups at 7 yards. I wouldn't give you 10 bucks for a bucket full of Colts.
When was it made? Did you try contacting Colt for repair? Is it the stainless barrel?

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
ElrodCod, what other 1911 45s are you more accurate with? And what accuracy do you achieve and at what range? I think we could see your point more clearly with the additional info. And of course explain whats maybe wrong with your shooting technique or the gun.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Can you say practice.I own one that is box stock and can shoot 1-1.5 at 20yds no jams,hang ups,misfeeds,etc. in the gun either.Have about 5k fired through it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I know the feeling. I just acquired a Kimber Compact on a trade for a bushmaster. Now I'm about to trade the Kimber for an Officers Model in stainless. I might have lost a few $$$ in the trade off instead of just selling the Bushmaster outright, but we have all made our mistakes. The Kimber is solid, shoots as straight as the 5" XSE, actually feels tighter and smoother than my XSE, but it's missing one thing. History. Yep, something about that good old american icon, the rampant pony.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
Let's see.... with the SA that I traded in for the Colt, I was getting 2" groups at 15yards shooting offhand. With my Les Baer a I can get that at 25 yards on a calm day. The Colt in question has what appears to be a stainless barrel. The bushing to slide fit is very loose. It can easily be moved side to side and up and down as well as wobbled when the slide is in battery. The firing pin stop is also very loose. As for the production date ...I don't know. SN is 26XXX .

------------------
ElrodCod
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
As for the production date ...I don't know. SN is 26XXX .
Sorry, should have been more specific, Colt puts the date they made it on the label of each new gun (with a 1 added to the far right also) Just curious.
If you like the gun otherwise, I'd definetly recommend calling/ sending it to Colt. If you're generally disappointed, it's not worth the trouble ofc.
I'd give Colt a try at warranty work before taking it to a gunsmith though. (not to fault gunsmiths, just saying give you a basis to work with)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts