1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal...I stopped by a shop today to look at some higher end 1911s.
I wanted to fondle a couple of Wilsons and Ed Browns and dream. Well, the guy behind the counter hands me a TRP. Let me tell you, I fell in love on the spot. So, should I trade a perfectly good Kimber Tactical II that has given me ZERO problems in on this TRP? I know that some of you will say to not get rid of a good gun, but you don't know my wife and Christmas is right around the corner. So for now only one 1911 is allowed in the house. And no, I can't buy it for her for Christmas. I know how some of you think. :biglaugh: What do you all think...trade for this TRP or not.
Thanks,
Chip

·
Registered
948 Posts
Don't get rid of a working gun unless you DON'T LIKE IT. For example, I got rid of my Glock22 and I'm getting rid of my Para C7.45LDA because I don't LIKE them.

But I wouldn't replace one gun you like with another gun you might like. I did it twice, and I regret both times.

So - I'm guessing - don't trade it. You have a good gun. What if you trade in your good gun and the TRP has problems so you have to send it back to the factory? Then you're really up the creek without a paddle!

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
1st of all : Don't look at guns when you can't afford them.:biglaugh: That can lead to many restless days and nights.

Having said that: I am not going to be a lot of help here as I just got a NIB TRP and it is one really fine gun for the money. I like it more and more with each trip to the range. She is still breaking in but she is ever so smooth and she can shoot. The old timer's at the range all agree she is one quality gun.

Having said that: I must also at least try to ditto and re-inforce the advice above. A working gun you are satisfied with is something to hang on to, not ditch, unless you just can't go on living without "whatever" you are ditching it for, which is something you have to decide.

Good luck on this one, I don't envy your position. Are you sure you can't just buy it "for her" for Christmas?:grumble:

Be Safe, Shoot Well.:rock:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The TRP is an excellent choice for anyone looking to get a gun that's right or very nearly so right out-of-the-box.

Still, never trade off or sell a gun you like and that works perfectly.

·
Registered
948 Posts
mitrod3 said:
1st of all : Don't look at guns when you can't afford them.:biglaugh: That can lead to many restless days and nights.
+1 :biglaugh:
SAWBONES said:
Still, never trade off or sell a gun you like and that works perfectly.
If you like your Kimber, don't trade it.
Now if you DON'T like it, that is a different story. That doesn't mean "you don't like it as much as you would like the TRP" - that doesn't count. Only trade it if it is a gun that sits in your safe unused because you DO NOT LIKE it. Like my C7.45LDA :rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
A man satisfied with his lot - or gun in this case - is one rich man. Keep the Kimber and stay that way. Later, when you can afford the TRP, with or without your wife's blessing, go for it. You have a rendevous with a TRP - just not this season.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I will be the voice of dissent -- trading the Tactical II for the TRP would be a good move. You'll get rid of the external extractor and the Series II safety, and get a steel frame. Those combined make the TRP a more robust gun, although not as light on the hip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Keep the Kimber. You will always want another one once it is gone and you will never find another Kimber that "was yours". Just save up for the TRP. Ask your wife if she could get a paper route or another job to support your habit.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I love my TRP so I can't offer much help talking you out of it. I am also guilty of "trading up" also on occassion.

·
Registered
948 Posts
saromans134 said:
I love my TRP so I can't offer much help talking you out of it. I am also guilty of "trading up" also on occassion.
I have traded up, and so I offer the advice to make sure that you won't miss the gun you are selling.

Examples of "trade ups" that I did not regret:
* Sold Glock22 to help buy a bitone lightweight SA 1911 (which didn't work, but I didn't enjoy the Glock and I will enjoy the 1911 when it comes back working)
* Sold Para C7.45 to help pay for SA Champion lw (didn't enjoy the Para anymore, I imagine I will enjoy the Champion, I'll be testing it for the first time tomorrow)

Examples of "trade ups" I regreted:
* Sold KelTec Sub2000 to help may for my AR15. I DO NOT regret buying my AR15, it is one of my favorite guns. However I regret selling the KelTec Sub2000. It was a lot of fun.
* Sold Kahr MK40 to buy a Kahr PM40. I could use the MK40 well, the PM40 ended up being sold to get a PM9, and I wish I could get the MK40 back now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so here it goes,
First and foremost I went and did it. Secondly, I'm ready for the... I told you so.
The Positive:
Fit and finish are top notch.

It ate everything I fed it.(Golden Sabers, DPX, Power Balls, semi wadcutters, and regular ball ammo) There were no failures to feed or eject.

It produced some very tight groups and shot better than the Kimber.

I got a much better trade in than I was expecting.

The Negative:
Failure to lock open after the last round. I'm blaming that on my Wilson mags that should be rebuilt or replaced. It didn't happen with the factory mags.

Slide would close when removing the empty magazine. That happend with the Wilson mag. a couple of times.

Slide stop will not go in without pressing something on the plunger. The damn thing just will not go in.:scratch:

Two piece guide rods suck. It is tough to put the gun back together with that set up unless there is a trick that I don't know.

All in all I'm very happy with the TRP. I feel that the negatives are easy fixes. And, once all the break in pains are resolved that this will be one hell of a gun.

Thanks,
Chip

·
Registered
948 Posts
Happy G said:
Slide stop will not go in without pressing something on the plunger. The damn thing just will not go in.:scratch:
I have a SA pistol that has this problem, and I've heard of others with that problem as well. First see if the detent is too long (I found that mine wasn't). If it isn't too long you might replace the plunger tube or file down the detent a bit (just making sure that it is nicely rounded and smooth...
Happy G said:
Two piece guide rods suck. It is tough to put the gun back together with that set up unless there is a trick that I don't know.
Two piece guide rods do suck. I would advise replacing the 2-piece FLGR with a classic short guide rod/solid face recoil spring plug. However I've never had trouble putting the gun back together. I do it like this:
1. put the spring on the end of the guide rod (the part that looks like a short guide rod) and establish its position in the slide assembly as normal (just as you would with a short guide rod)
2. Put the slide on with the spring hanging out the front and the bushing rotated (just like you would with a short guide rod)
3. Put the recoil spring on and rotate the bushing (just like you would with a short guide rod and solid faced recoil spring plug)
4. Ease the full length rod piece in through the recoil spring plug until it stops, and screw it in. You may need to jiggle the rod a bit since sometimes the spring inside won't allow the rod to pass through easily.
5. Tighten as necessary.

I have a question though:
What is the "guaranteed" accuracy of the TRP? What kind of accuracy are you getting with it at 15/25 yards? (From a bench is what I'm looking for I suppose...)

·
Registered
68 Posts
As much as I love my TRP, I wouldnt trade in a working gun that you also like for something you dont know squat about. Dont mean that in the derragotory sense. For all you know you could end up with the only lemon TRP and then have to hassle with service. SA has good service, but nothing puts a BAD taste in your mouth like having to send off a gun for service work. Not only can you then be left unarmed, but you will always have that funny feeling. Wondering if this will be the time you may need your gun and she will let you down.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Xori,
Thanks for the info. That helped a bunch on the assembly of the two piece. As for the "guaranteed" accuracy, I don't have the slightest idea. I do know that at 15 yards off hand I had several 1 1/4 to 2 in groups but, I also had a few large groups that were in the 4 in. range with PB's. And, I'll be picking up a new guide rod set up as well as a couple of new Wilson mags to try. Please don't flame me for this one, but what exactly do you mean by detent. I won't touch anything that I'm not 100% sure of because I have learned my lessons the hard way. Should I just try a diffrent slide stop?

Taz,
I understand what you are saying. I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have a back up. Don't flame me for this but there is a Glock 23 among others. I don't think there will be any issues with this gun once I get these minor kinks worked out. I always keep the lemon thought in the back of my head with any gun purchase. I've had only one and they really suck. And, they will most definately leave a bad taste in ones mouth.

Happy

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
I can think of several Kimbers I would rather have than a TRP. I use to post the differences in the two brands, but have not done so in a while. I worked on a $2,000+ TGO not too long ago and came away under impressed.
The biggest difference is Kimbers have a positive barrel to slide fit, SAs don't. Before I start hearing the howls of protest from the SA fans let me say I have owned several Springfields and worked on dozens of them.
For those doubters about the barrel lock up issue take a Sharpie or Dyekim and mark the upper lug recess in your barrel. A barrel with positive lock up will imprint the dye when it locks up. I am yet to see a SA that does.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.