1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I returned my Wilson last week for some repair. It kept going through recoil plugs. The plugs kept getting jammed in the frame on dissasembly for cleaning. Maybe 200 round when new,and the first plug became hard to remove for cleaning. I replaced the plug and spring with another one from Wilson. Same thing happened. The plug shoulders were heavily damaged.Wilson said the one shoulder on the frame was about .004 off. One was a bit higher than the other side I guess. :eek:
So it will be back next week.:)
Nice people there. :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
WCR recently posted that Wilson started making Bullet Proof recoil plugs. Maybe that'll solve your problem. Maybe instances like yours are why they started making them...:scratch: Yours is the first plug problem i've heard of actually. Well, either way, good luck and i'm sure you'll be well taken care of.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
WCR recently posted that Wilson started making Bullet Proof recoil plugs. Maybe that'll solve your problem. Maybe instances like yours are why they started making them...:scratch: Yours is the first plug problem i've heard of actually. Well, either way, good luck and i'm sure you'll be well taken care of.
I believe he has a compact.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen, in my case I had about 2k rounds through my Professional and had just swapped out the recoil spring with a longer and higher rated recoil spring. Apparently, the additional length and larger diameter of the higher rated spring caused the coils to stack until there was no room left and when the coils couldn’t compress any further, they bulged outwards and hammered the recoil plug shoulders.

Once I put the proper length/rating recoil spring back in… I then put the recoil reverse plug in my drill press and after a little touch with a fine file and emery cloth, I never had another problem (that was about 3k rounds ago).

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I receieved the Wilson back today. It appears they refinished the shoulder on the slide.
I haven't had time to take it to the range. I "believe" that may of been the cause of the FTF I was having. :)
Nice guys at Wilson, always willing to help.:)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the Wilson to the range today and put about 200 rounds down range. Not even a hiccup. Excellent piece of machinery!:) Wilson did a great job in their work. :) I suspect the plug was the foundation for the FTF and related problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh ok, well it's still cool you guys are making Bullet Proof recoil spring plugs. My GI is at Springfield's custom shop right now and i'm planning on having one put in. Along with a few other Wilson parts of course.;)
The Bullet Proof plugs are too long for a compact frame and you will need to shorten one if you buy/order it from the website. Call them for one to fit your compact.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
The bullet proof plug is for a standard, bushing 5" gun. They will not work on our style of compact even if shortened-the compact guns use a "reverse" plug as well as all the other cone barrel guns we sell.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts