1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt Defender and I noticed that my plunger tube is moderately loose on the frame.

Basically, there is some play where I can wiggle it up and down a little bit. Is there anything wrong with that? If that is a bad thing, can I tighten it myself? How?

Thanks for any help people!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
That plunger tube will keep getting looser and it will cause you some trouble, with the thumb safety and the slide release. Mr. Browning designed the left side grip lanel so it would help protect and hold in that tube, but it doesn't always work all that well. Brownells sells two types of tools to stake the tube back into the frame. Either tool will do the job but the vice-grip one is a bit simpler to use...faster, too. If you look at the photos in the catalog, you might even be able to figure out how to make your own tool. Just don't wait too long.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Just for information, I've tried to order the vice grip tool from Brownells on three occassions now, because they keep showing it in their catalog. They no longer carry it. Ordered the other one but haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Gun nut
If your crafty you could make one fairly easily in the garage. I have a article on my website on how to tighten the plungertube at WWW.blindhogg.com go to the gunsmithing section and good luck.
Chris from Va

·
Registered
68 Posts
A quick, semi-permanent fix is to put a bit of blue Loc-Tite under the tube and vise grip it down for 1-2 hours. Works well and has never come loose. By semi-permanent I mean that you could take the part off if you want. Red Loc-Tite would make it permanent.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Me personally, I'd use the red Loc-Tite instead of the blue since it is stronger. It's "permanent" only in the sense that you need to apply some heat to the part to break the adhesive bond, should you need to disassemble.

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

A

·
0 Posts
col132
How long has it been since you tried to get the Brownells Punger tube staking tool.( modified vise grip style)?
The reason I ask is I bought on from them about 3 months ago. It was to replace a lost loaner. I finally got the guy to pay up, and I bought a new one.

If you do get one be prepared to replace the tips. They are very fragile. I ground my own after crushing the two included tips.

All is good now. I am getting a little grouchy about loaning out tools now.

------------------
Guns don't kill people,
People kill people!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice guys. I have gone the vice grips / red lock-tite way to see if I can find a cheap way out of this. $50 for Brownells kit seems a little much for me.

If worse comes to worse and it doesn't hold, I will ask a smith how much they'll charge to do it and if it is more than $20, I'll get the tool.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
AC's & 45's, it's probably been that long since I've tried to order one. Interesting in that the invoice that came with my other orders didn't state that the tool was out of stock, it said something to the effect that it was no longer available from manufacturer. I used of of these years ago that an old military armorer had and I was really impressed with it (could find nothing else available at the time). I'm going to go to Brownells sight today and try it again and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Lots of good information in this thread thanks and I saved Blind Hoggs link...

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

1 - 10 of 10 Posts