1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 1911's with (just slightly) loose plunger tubes. One is a stock 50's vintage Commander and the other is my Les Baer Premier-II. I am looking for a tool to tighten them which does not require the removal of the ejector. Does such a tool exist?

Thank you

·
Registered
83 Posts
Gun Runners staking tool Brownells part number 634-000-001 works like a champ

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that one required removal of the ejector.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I thought that one required removal of the ejector.
I have been able to work around the ejector with mine. I have the Gun Runners tool as well. I play it safe and also use a plunger tube support tool 080-707-000 when staking.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
The Gun Runners tool is just what the doctor ordered. I've used it on my full size Kimber TLE with no problem. I did not have to remove the ejector. As TLE mentioned, buy the plunger tube support tool. It's a bit of good insurance to make sure you don't squash the plunger tube when you start tightening up the staking tool.

Good Luck! :)

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
The "vice grip" tool may seem pricy, but works very well. Once you get one of these check all your M1911s, some will be wiggly and you never noticed.

I had the plunger fall out (!) of my Springfield Loaded when I removed the grips for the first time.

This tool doesn't require removal of the ejector and has a fitting and plug to protect the tube.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The "vice grip" tool may seem pricy, but works very well. Once you get one of these check all your M1911s, some will be wiggly and you never noticed.

I had the plunger fall out (!) of my Springfield Loaded when I removed the grips for the first time.

This tool doesn't require removal of the ejector and has a fitting and plug to protect the tube.

-- Chuck
+1...this one works great...but I did have to modify it just a little...it was just a little too thick on the side with the dimple for spreading the stake...about 15 seconds on a side grinder and it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I also used the modified vice grip (modified the same as described above) with good success. If your going to replace the plunger instead of just restacking it then consider using a small ball cutter on a dremel to SLIGHTLY open the holes inside the frame so the staked portion fills out wider. Use a file to dress out any rough edges that come up.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now I just need to tighten a few. I know what you're talking about, though. If either come out I'll make the modification to the frame(s).

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
I've used the modified Vice-Grip tool as well. Simple and strait forward, even for someone like me (that is, someone who can usually manage to muck up just about anything).

Robert

BTW, That tool from Midway looks like a good idea as well.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Another thing to do is to clean it well and apply a very thin layer of JB Weld before you clamp the thing down.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have and like the gunrunner tool, on a new installation a clothes pin is a wonderful third hand to hold the tube inplace against the frame while you position the clamp and bar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts