1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm completing my first build, and I have a grasp on how to stake the plunger tube thanks to the knowledge in this community, but what I haven't been able to figure out is if the plunger tube is supposed to "drop" into the frame and then be flared, or if there's supposed to be impossible to get in by hand and pressed in with the tool.

I have an aluminum frame and an SS tube, and I don't want to damage either.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
The plunger tube should be able to be pressed into the frame with finger pressure.
At worst, a light tap with a plastic screwdriver handle should seat it.

The only purpose of the staking tools is to actually flare the mounting tubes on the inside of the frame.

You should have one pin-like tool that fits inside the plunger tube to protect it from collapsing and the tools to flare the mounting tubes on the inside of the frame.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
I have always used the Brownells modified Vise grip tool (cheap and available). Make sure the legs come all the way through the frame hole or a little more - if they don't it won't stay on the frame. Cut a countersink bevel on the inside so the legs have plenty of room to expand. Be sure to fill the tube with some kind of pin or drill bit. I place 1 drop of red Loc tite on each leg and crimp them down. Dress the crimped leg down flush to the frame with a smooth file.

·
Banned
524 Posts
You need to get a staking tool, 1/8" ball cutter to relieve the inside of the frame where the legs on the plunger tube extend into the frame, and a rod the protect the tube from being squashed (it goes in the tube).
Don't over relieve the area in the frame or you'll cry (a least I would).
Make sure the tube is oriented correctly with the small opening forward.
I think Brownells sell everything you need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts