1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions, if I may, regarding my new PM7 stainless. I'm new here so if these questions have been addressed in the past I apologize:
1.) I handload. If I load a round so that any (and I do mean ANY) of the full diameter of the bullet protrudes forward of the case mouth, the round won't chamber (the bullet hits the lands). Is that characteristic of all .45 auto's or peculiar to the DW match barrels?
2.) Right out of the box the pistol would not fire the last round in the mag. The last round would chamber and the slide would go fully into battery, but the trigger would not drop the hammer. I finally figured out that the disconnector stuck into the mag well far enough that the back of the mag would contact it (and bind it up) after the last round chambered. This problem occured every time from three different mags. I filed a little off the front of the disconnector and the problem was solved. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
TIA,
Paul

·
Registered
280 Posts
In responce to your first question,have tou checked the overall length of your reloads? It sounds like they may be to long. As for the disconnector I haven't had any trouble with mine.
How many rounds have you got thru your 7 now?
I've only got about 200 thru mine and no problems so far.
Keep working at it and you will get it running right.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blackthorne45,
My reloads are at the recommended OAL from my favorite reloading manual. However, I have seen the same loads listed shorter in other manuals. Seating short cures the problem, but I don't know if this is typical of other 1911's since I've never owned one.

I have about 400 rounds through the PM7. No problems at all (with shorter reloads) since I took a few thousandths off the disconnector.

Thanks for the reply.
Paul

·
Registered
280 Posts
Could it be that the chamber is just a bit too short? I have heard of a few people having that problem. If that is the case DW will make it right in short order.
I'm not sure of the correct chamber dimensions so I can't help you on that.
Hope you figure it out soon, good luck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dpcdivr, here are the details

dpcdivr,
Thanks for taking an interest. My favorite load is a 230 gr. T&T LRN, 5.9 gr. Unique, Federal 150 primer, Federal case and a COL of 1.275".

I have to seat the bullet to establish a COL of 1.200" before it will chamber in the DW. I've shot thousands of them through a S&W 625 at the longer length.

I use a seperate crimp die (Lee) which sizes the loaded round, so case diameter isn't the problem. This bullet has a small shoulder at the point the ogive begins. If even .005" of the full bullet diameter shoulder extends beyond the case mouth, the lead shoulder contacts the lands (you can see it on the bullet).

Do you think the chamber's too short?
TIA,
Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts