1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this has been asked before, but im gonna do it again...enlighten me. i've got a pma-b with ribbed top slide, adjustable rear sight, and a pinned and dovetailed front sight. i'd like to change the front to a fiber-optic number. will the ones bobs got on the fusion website fit? or are the front cuts a bastard size. any input is welcome. thanks.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
And I know I've answered before...ask Fusion. :) We need to get a list going about which Fusion sights fit which Dan Wessons.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Same here, I've got a PMA and a PTE, same cut? I also want an FO front sight, would love an FO rear as well :)

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
;) There used to be a guy around here that made FO sights for DWs. Looks like demand is up. Maybe that will bring him out into the open. Then again, I know he is a very busy individual and may stay in hiding.;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nice one Snag, funny HIS post was just above yours..... hehehehe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, bounced some messages to Mr. Serva last night and got the answer. i haven't figured out my camera yet so i couldnt send him any pics but he said the fusions were .330 x 60' cut, he thinks the fusion fiber optic sights should work in my aussie. now.......Dave says its a 65' cut...uh-oh, i haven't taken the old one out yet but i think im gonna, and we'll see. if the wife agrees i can purchase some "accessories" i think i get one of the fusion ones and see how the size up side by side.

·
Registered
844 Posts
My error, Our Fusion Sights are .331 X 65 DEG X .075. If you have an older mod, dave is right, you will end up with a gap under the sight. Some PMA's did have the newer .070 depth. You have to check this Dim or live with the gap.
Let me know if you need anymore help,
Thanks,
Bob
:) :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oops....sorry Dave. got my wires crossed. sooooooo is there a problem with the difference in the degree of the dovetail cut, between 60 and 65? now to the meat of the matter. my PMA, the slide is a flat top style, has got a depth of .084 and my EXP, which has a round top slide has got a depth of .091. these measurement are from the flat areas for the roll pin on the slide. from a cosmetic stand both these sights are of the flat base design, the ones fusion has appear to be rounded to match a round top slide. alot to digest here. id like to get Daves 2cents on the difference in the dovetail degrees. i think i have an idea how to get around the depth problem but im gonna keep that to myself right now. any input on where to go from here is welcome

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
OK...so you wanted the non-smart a_ _ answer.

The real issue here is depth of the dovetail. The differences in depths you obtained are due to the location of your measurement. The dovetail depth is set at 90 thousandths...however...the ribbing on the Aussie is reduced by a few thousandths in the area of the sight, so as to eminimate interference of the ribbing with the sight blade during installation, which mars the finish on the ribbing.

As far as 65-60 degree is concerned, it depends upon two things. One, upon the width of the dovetail on the replacement sight. With some extra width, you can cautiously file the dovetail to the proper width while changing it's angle a bit, to match the slide dovetail cut. When installed as such, if you are precise in your fitting, there may be little to no gap observable on the sides of the dovetail cut.

Second, it depends upon the degree of precision desired. Some shooters care most about getting the doggone sight on the pistol, so they can go shooting. So long as the sight remains stationary on the slide, they are content, even with a bit of daylight visible in the dovetail. Others desire no less than a perfect, tight fit.

Again, the real issue here is dovetail depth. Fitting a shallow-dovetail sight in a deep dovetail will not result in a gap under the sight base, but rather, above it, unless the sight dovetail is reduced in width. If you keep the sight dovetail width as-is, this necessitates removing material from the underside of the sight blade itself, effectively LOWERING the height of the sight. If you trim the dovetail width it can be made to fit, but with the gap under the sight base as Bob suggests. Either way is kind of a bummer, to most folks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts