1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyway, I usually carry my Kahr PM40, but today opted for my Baer TRS (full size) and I am thinking how much more comfortable/convenient it is to carry the pocket gun.

What are you alls thoughts on the Pros/Cons of pocket guns?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I like it

I like pocket carry, more so in the winter when you're always wearing a coat outside of the house. I usually walk with my hands in my coat pockets anyways, and if needed, your hand is always on your firearm and your ready. I can't think of faster presentation then that. And, as you mentioned, it is so, so very comfortable. I carry a Govt 1911 in a milt sparks rig, and even though it's comfortable, it's just not that quick or accessible when your bundled up, plus to be comfortable I need to match pants/belt/holster combo, but for pocket carry, I toss a small revolver in a pocket holster and slip it in my pocket, and I always have it on me if it's easy, comfy to carry.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Pros --
No excuse to not carry
Conceal easily in almost any attire
Easy to carry as a bug
Easy to have hand on gun and not be conspicuous

Cons--
Smaller caliber
Typically a longer and heavier trigger pull
I find my LCP less accurate due to shorter barrel and site radius

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Those hot summer months I have a keltec with a clip on it that I hook inside my right pocket.

Better than a rock

·
Registered
549 Posts
I love the bodyguard in .380 from a drop in the pocket and go aspect. It is as uncomfortable to shoot as it is convenient to carry though. In the end it is not something I shoot a lot at the range with maybe once every 2-3monhts I run a pair of mags thru it. It is worth it for the convince standpoint like said above no reason not to carry if you have one or one like it.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You all are correct.

And as far as smaller caliber, the stronger caliber (like my PM40) are a handful to practice with with!
100 rounds, and you don't want to shoot anymore. :-/

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bought a Ruger LCP two months ago and haven't been without it yet. Slip it n the back pocket of my jeans or cargo pocket when I wear shorts. Yea, it's not the most comfortable thing to hang onto when you shoot, but it's always with me.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The work I'm in doesn't really allow for anything but pocket carry.

I'm a mechanic by trade and the positions I get in daily, like under dash work, removing my carry each time would be a hassle. Not to mention then the gun would have to lay out in the open somewhere.

I carry a S&W model 60 in my RT. Front pocket.

38 is a great defense round but I only get 5. :eek:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I never pocket carry as a primary carry. I have a LCP, 642CT, and a Colt government 380. The only one I pocket carry very much is the LCP. I am warm natured and it doesn't take much to make come out of a coat, so coat pocket carry is out. Weak side pants pocket is the only thing that works for me.
The main plus for pocket carry is you can have your hand on the gun while walking through the parking lot.

The cons are:
Small, hard to shoot gun.
Hard to get to while seated, real difficult while driving.
Most of the time when I notice someone is carrying they are printing a pocket gun.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I carry a government size 1911 and a spare magazine on my belt plus either a Springfield Armory XDS-45 or Sig P938 9mm and a spare magazine in my pocket.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What are you alls thoughts on the Pros/Cons of pocket guns?
I know a man who was jumped while pocket carrying an LCP. By the time he worked it out of his pocket, the attackers had destroyed his knee, disabling him for life.

Slow draw, unless you start with a hand in the pocket. Generally crappy pistols for rapid fire. Poor capacity.

Hate pocket guns.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I know a man who was jumped while pocket carrying an LCP. By the time he worked it out of his pocket, the attackers had destroyed his knee, disabling him for life.

Slow draw, unless you start with a hand in the pocket. Generally crappy pistols for rapid fire. Poor capacity.

Hate pocket guns.
So do you think he would have fared better drawing a 1911 from an IWB or OWB holster ?
If your jumped and the attacker/attackers have the element of surprise I doubt any carry method will have a much different outcome.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
No micro pocket carry for me. I feel strange if I don't have a full sized 1911 IWB. I will in the winter pocket carry a CZ 83 in a heavy coat pocket with my 1911 IWB dependent upon the situation. Just my preference but if a gun is too light to practice with it is too light to carry. I am aware the range you will use a pistol at is fairly close & I would rather something than nothing any day.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
So do you think he would have fared better drawing a 1911 from an IWB or OWB holster ?
If your jumped and the attacker/attackers have the element of surprise I doubt any carry method will have have a much different outcome.
Agreed. They make pocket holsters as well. I hate mouse guns but were I to carry one it would have a pocket holster. I fumble enough with the crap in my pockets & i have dedicated pockets for different items.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
If your jumped and the attacker/attackers have the element of surprise I doubt any carry method will have have a much different outcome.
Bet i can draw my 1911 before I can get to my car keys:rofl::rofl::rofl:.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I know pocket carry is not for everyone and neither is IWB, OWB or a shoulder rig but pocket carry has some merit. When I pocket carry it's a 9mm Rohrbaugh with 7 rounds of 124gr Gold Dots, not as good as a 1911 in 45 but sometimes I have to leave the 1911 at home.
One of the keys is to be vigilant and aware of your surroundings, don't think it can't or won't happen to you.

Marine General James "Mad Dog" Mattis has the right idea in the sadly decaying world we live in today.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." maybe a little overboard but better than walking around thinking everyone you meet is your next best friend.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Pros --
No excuse to not carry
Conceal easily in almost any attire
Easy to carry as a bug
Easy to have hand on gun and not be conspicuous

Cons--

...Typically a longer and heavier trigger pull...
I can draw from a front pocket holster and empty either a DAO .44 Bulldog or a S&W 442 into COM one handed at 3 yds. in 3 secs. (on good days less) using defense ammo, the latter Rem. 158 gr. LSWCHP +p. I grew up shooting DA revolvers and never shoot them SA except for finding POA on a new load. IMO, there is no faster way to get a handgun into play if you train properly. Obviously, I never shoot to reset but rather "slap" so as not to "short stroke".

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Every time I think about carrying a smaller gun, which is frequently - I had my HK45 gouging my kidney all the way to Vegas today, because I was too lazy to stop and adjust it. But every time I think about just carrying an LC9 or Sig or something - I think about the fact that there are a lot of criminals in jail with 9mm wounds, but not very many with .45 holes.

I think that pretty much says it all. 230 grain trumps 40, 95 or 115 grain. I'd carry a .44 mag if I could get it back on target quicker.

All that said, there are times when you just can't conceal a SW 500 with a 10" barrel. So carry what fits the situation and your threat level. If that's a .380 there isn't anything wrong with carrying it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts