1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early M1903 (bushing, 4" barrel) in nice shape, that hasn't been shot in forty years. I'm thinking about using it for a very occasional carry gun, when I need something really unobtrusive. Are there any modern hi-performance loads that are more likely than others to work?

·
Administrator
75,467 Posts
Hi Rick,

My M1903 I assume you have the .32ACP version (the .380 was the M1908). In .380 my favorite is the CCI Gold Dot. However with the.32ACP I think you're best off sticking with ball ammo for increased penetration and maximum reliability. When I say "reliability" I'm not talking about the feed ramp, either. With the .32 there's a risk of "rimlock", where the rim of the top round in the mag slips behind the round below it and gets snagged. The shorter the round the worse the problem. Winchester Silvertips are the worst offenders in this regard. Ball ammo is usually loaded to maximum OAL and is what the M1903 was designed to feed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I took my M1903 to the range last week and shot the following loads; Corbon +p, Gold dots and Silver tips. Not one problem with the gold dots or silver tips, while the second round of the Corbon load would FTF and get stick nose down on the ramp. All the other rounds would feed fine, but the second one out of the magazine would jam 2 out of two times, as I only had a 20 round box. When I loaded the last Corbons with two gold dots on top, they all feed like a champ.

The only way to be sure is to try them in your own gun. Mine feeds everything except the Corbon +p.

Tom

·
Registered
268 Posts
They are great guns, I also use Speer gold dot bullets and they seem to feed fine.
These are great carry guns because they are so thin.
Enjoy your "new" toy! You will get addicted to the little buggers!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it'll be one box of everything I can find! Thanks for the tips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.