1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking around a while finally won a bid on a new Pointman Carry on gunbroker - with the emphasis on "broke". Going into my EDC rotation once it's broken in. Nice 4 1/2# no creep trigger pull and tight frame to slide fit. Lot of standard features - fiber optic front sight, flush barrel crown, checkered front strap and MSH, and undercut trigger guard. It even comes from the factory with the idiot mark prevention cut in the slide release and a square bottom firing pin stop. I replaced the wood grips with G10s - personal preference. Mandatory picture.

Broke it down, cycled the slide on the frame about 100 times, cleaned it thoroughly, and then lubed it up enough to need an oil drip pan under it. Grabbed a bunch of loaded mags and cranked off the first round. YGBSM! Did I mention the tight slide fit?. The slide locked back so tight it needed some assistance from my newest and currently favorite 'smiffing tool.

Well, only 499 more whacks with the Orange Hammer of Doom and I'll have a fully broken in Dan Wesson.

Can't wait,
Pete

·
Registered
398 Posts
I like your "smiffin" tool. Is that a dead blow, or just a plastic mallet?

Nice Dan Wesson as well!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would run a fine stone on the rails and grooves of the slide and frame. Probably a small burr somewhere in there! Nice pistol by the way!

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
YES, do this and all will be well.

Don't wait!

Bob
I would run a fine stone on the rails and grooves of the slide and frame. Probably a small burr somewhere in there! Nice pistol by the way!

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I've really enjoyed my PM-C.

The only gripe I have with it is the BTGS. I prefer the insurance hump like I run on my other 1911's.

Mine is a 9mm.

It handles itself very nicely at the range. I'll run a few mags through my .45 Valkyrie (cco) and then go to this PM-C 9mm and it feels like buttery smooth goodness and it's putting one ragged hole in the target just as the Valkyrie did prior....recovers faster and wants to run all day long.

Great pistolas.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got around to working on the PM-C. Since I really didn't want to employ the Orange Hammer Of Doom (OHOD) 499 more times, I took the gun apart and inspected the frame and slide rails. And to answer SPEEDGUNNER, the OHOD is the dead blow model.

The problem appeared obvious. There was galling on a couple of places on the frame and although I didn't see any on the slide, I'm sure it was there. This was the worst of it with some other galling on the rear of the frame slides. Kind of makes me wonder if DW even test fired the gun before it left the factory since it locked up on me on the very first shot.

I had already run a new fine India stone across the flats of the rails when I cleaned and lubed the gun before my first abbreviated range trip. I ran my India stone across the rail flats again to get rid of the worst of the galling. Unfortunately, I don't have a rail file so I couldn't get into the inner parts of the slide and frame rails. I tried the slide on the frame after the stoning and at least it moved without resorting to the OHOD, but I could still feel a lot of resistance.

I hand lapped the rails using some Remington 40-X bore cleaner which is supposedly 800 grit according to a web search. I scrubbed the rails with Dawn liquid detergent to get rid of as much oil as I could. I liberally applied the Remington 40-X and cycled the slide 100 times. I then cleaned the rails with the Dawn detergent, a lot of water, a soft toothbrush and brake cleaner to clean out as much abrasive as I could. I repeated this 3 times since the DW instruction manual recommends 300-500 rounds for break in. The slide became progressively easier to move after each treatment. I quit after 300 times since the slide would now easily slide off the frame when I tilted the frame vertically pointing down. The slide frame fit is still tight.

Success! The OHOD has been retired back to the tool box. The gun fed and ejected 100 rounds of factory ammo and hand loads without a hiccup.

Okay, maybe a minor hiccup. The gun was ejecting brass like confetti thrown in the wind. Back to the work bench and a close look at the extractor tip showed it was pressing against the case bevel and the extractor tensioning wall wasn't making contact with the case rim. I also found there was a slight ledge on the left side of the breech face so the case was not sitting flush against the breech face.

I carefully removed that little shelf with some jeweler's files and then polished the breech face so it was completely flat. I referred to Steve In Allentown's extractor fitting sticky (that guy is a GURU of extractors, along with that other guy from Allentown - Paul). Beveled the appropriate edges and removed some metal from the positioning/locating pad to adjust the extractor deflection. The extractor work helped a little - the ejection pattern was improved but still a little erratic. Plus I was seeing evidence of brass marks in front of and behind the ejection port on the slide plus some on the inside of the right side of the ejection port. A little hard to see in the pictures but they're there, trust me.

Back to the work bench one more time and plugged in the angle grinder (Dremel tools are for beginner Bubba 'Smiffs). I lowered the ejection port about .010" and moved the inside edge out to even with the edge of the slide. Okay, I admit it - I didn't use an angle grinder. I used a carbide grinding tip in a D tool to roughly shape the lower part of the ejection port. I followed up with some jeweler's files and India stones to straighten out the lines and get rid of most of the machine marks. I finished up with 220/320/400/600 grit sandpaper progressively to smooth out the port. Someday, I need to get a mill and lathe.

I replaced the factory extractor with a Wilson Combat Bullet proof one. You can see the DW looks kind of scrawny compared the WC extractor. I beveled the appropriate edges and didn't even need to adjust the tension. It was basically plug and play. Took it to the range today and put another 100 rounds through it. The erratic ejection was fixed - all the brass landed at 2-3 o'clock about 5 feet away.

I had a few other minor issues that required a little work. I took some metal off the bottom of the grip safety blocking tab since I found I wasn't always depressing the grip safety enough if I didn't have a good grip on the gun. I also had to dress the chamber feed ramp break over point since it was really sharp. And I put a shorter front sight on the PM-C since I prefer a different sight picture from the center of mass one when using the original sight.

Thanks to a lot of the guys and info in this forum, I now have a gun that I'm confident enough in to include in my EDC rotation. Hopefully, if you pick up a PM-C, you won't have the same issues.

Pete

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm glad you have it figured out but sorry that the problems were numerous. I really hope this is the exception not the norm for the new DW's.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure this was an exception. I've had a couple in the past and they ran great. I recently traded a problem free DW Guardian 9MM for a used Les Baer and guess what? The LB needed extractor work. Must have pissed off the 1911 gods. Time to burn some more 45 ACP rounds to appease them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
well done. all the dws i have had worked great from out of the box. sorry this one did not. looks to me like you did a great job! some good info here. best, james

·
Registered
269 Posts
^^^^^^^^
All mine have been pretty much trouble free. Biggest thing for me was a Guardian that shot high but DW fixed it very promptly (2015).

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
That was a lot of work needed on a new gun. :rolleyes: My PM-C had issues too, but thankfully galling wasn't one of them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts