1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought it about 3 months ago, probably only about 300 rounds through it now. The last few times i've taken it out it misfires about one out of 20 rounds. I seems like the firing pin won't fully dent the primer. It does this on my reloads and factory ammo. I didn't have this problem at first, or at least I didn't notice the weak primer dent. I've tried a new hammer spring, new firing pin spring, i've cleaned the crap out of it, and even swapped the Dan Wesson parts with parts from my other Bul .45. The problem won't go away no matter what I do. The firing pin looks brand new and it moves freely in the hole. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Send it back. They should be able to fix it. If they can't, buy a Colt or Wilson.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Take it apart and clean all the crud out of the firing pin channel. Then don't even put oil in when you put it back together.

If that's not the solution, stay calm, sight tight, and someone will find you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
oh...duh

I guess I should have actually "read" your post, you already cleaned out the firing pin channel. Well, that about takes care of my vast trouble shooting store of knowledge. Good luck!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Send it back, tell themwhat kind of primers you're using.Maybe the hammer strut is too short or something since you replaced the mainspring with a full strength spring, and also have replaced the FP spring, and have cleaned the channel?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lightly dented primers

I guess you already cleaned out the firing pin tunnel; did you use a light and check for burrs? also check for a slightly bent firing pin that may be rubbing in the breachface hole. You should push the firing pin in & out manually with a pin pusher and feel for dragging. Also you can roll the pin on a flat surface; if it is warped/bent it will show up like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
primer problem

Well I finally called Dan Wesson about a month ago. I talked to one of the gunsmiths about the problem. The first thing he said was it was probably a strut that was to short. This of course was after I told him all the things I already tried. They sent me a new strut along with a stronger hammer spring. I installed it and it hasn't misfired over the last 500 rounds. It also cured another problem I was having. For the life of me I couldn't get my Reiner 230 FMJ to feed reliably. I simply switched to Remington 230 FMJ's and the jamming problem went away. Well after I got the replacement parts installed I decided to load up what I had left of the Reiner bullets. Same exact load as before and guess what? Not a single jam. I'm not a gunsmith but I sure wish someone could explain that one to me. I guess the only thing that kind of bothers me now is the somewhat heavy trigger now thats its got the heavier spring in it. The next thing I'll do is put the stock spring back in and see if the heavier one was really needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts