1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, if I get a Custom SS like this

Can I have the flats on the slide polished so it looks like this?

Can any ole smith do a good job of this or is there someone who specializes in this line of work? How much would this cost? Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is that price does anyone out there happen to know? If so please post it here I might be interested too. I have a polished Stainless steel 9mm that is sooooo easy to keep clean. I would love if my Kimber would clean up that easily not to mention it looks really slick.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the custom shop services list. Polishing the flats on the receiver is 75.00 and polishing the flats on the slide is 85.00

·
Registered
853 Posts
Polishing the flats is something you could do for yourself with little trouble. Use crokus cloth wrapped around a flat block. Start with a medium to medium fine and end with a very fine grit. Finish up by using an eraser and then some red rouge on a cloth.

Make sure you clean everything well with a good degreaser after your done.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Originally posted by SanduneCC:
Hi, if I get a Custom SS like this...
Can I have the flats on the slide polished so it looks like this?
Yes, you can. I did this myself to my Classic Stainless.

Get some sand paper and emory paper. Local hardware store, auto parts store or Wally World. You will need a grit starting at about 250, then 400, 600, 800, and 1000. Higher if you want for a real nice finish.

Get a piece of glass. I got one about one foot square and 1/4 inch thick. This is so you can tape the sand paper down to it.

Tape the 250 paper to the glass. Place it on a flat supported surface. Work the slide back and forth on the paper. Not round and round. Then move to the next finer paper and repeat. When you get through with the 1000 grit paper, you should have a mirror finish, almost.

If you want, I can email you a picture.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I never bothered to pay photopoint the ransom, and they still have my pics.

Pic on the way by email.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".

[This message has been edited by John Forsyth (edited 11-13-2001).]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John emailed me the picture of his polished SS Kimber. It is so beautiful, I have to share it here. That is exactly the way I'd like my Custom to look like. Them smooth grips are hot too. What kind are they John?

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Thanks for the compliments and posting the pic. The stocks are Ahrends, cocobolo. Got them from Son.

I wish I could take a better picture. The frame was bead blasted after the front strap was stippled. It has a very distinct two tone appearance. If you look closely, around the thumb safety, you can see the matting. The thumb and grip safety are as they came from Kimber.

------------------
John

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok just finished polishing my flats i used the same technique john mentioned except i went down to a 2000 grit sand paper then used the rouge....WOW unbelievable results it looks great and it only took about an hour to do not tomention it save me 200 bucks not having to send it to kimber ....not to mention the time i would have had to wait for it to come back....imagine all the range time that would have cost me! thatnks for the tip anyone who likes the polished steel look you gotta try this!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Bang-Bang, that's all right! Do you have a way to post a pic? It's not hard folks. I could see where a custom shop would charge you say $40 but more than that is bit much. They have to eat to.

It only took me about an hour and a half and I was taking my time. The key, is to have a flat hard surface, and that's where the glass comes in. I do not think I would try this on a J frame, but for a 1911 slide or any other flat sided slide, it works pretty good.

------------------
John

·
Registered
142 Posts
Polishing the trigger, pins, and screw heads while leaving the gun matte is also a nice look. I did this to my Compact because I was afraid to go any further. I get a lot of compliments.

·
Registered
143 Posts
why wouldnt someone just bring the slide to a metal polisher or get a polishing wheel. i have tons of polished aluminum and steel on my harley davidson. it could be done relatively cheap - and litterally leave a mirror finish. looking like it was chrome.

·
Registered
690 Posts
John Forsyth that is one nice looking gun. I bought a used stainless gold match and was wondering how to improve its finish, now I know. Who did your stippling and how do you like it? Thanks, Max

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
The man who did the stippling is no longer with us.
And I like it very much.

------------------
John

[This message has been edited by John Forsyth (edited 11-17-2001).]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts