1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there are some parts on my 1911 that i want to polish but i don't know what kind of polish or where to get it.any tips on polishing would be greatly apprectiated as well.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
Do you mean smoothing internal components, or cosmetic polishing of the outside?

·
Registered
713 Posts
hulkmag,
Polishing is the process of going from "finer to finer scratches" until you can't see them any more! Without seeing the surface of the metal on your frame throat I would say to start with some 220 sand paper or emory on a dowel.Then go to 320,400,600,& 800. use vertical strokes (the direction the nose of the bullet is going). You can take the abrasives up to 1500 if your real manic about it, and then go to hard felt mounted cylinders and buffing bar compound to take it to a high shine like a mirror. Make sure to keep the ramp flat and not create any waves in the metal that would catch the nose of the bullet or inhibit feeding.Keep your ramp angle between 28 and 32 degrees and your there!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hulkmag,
The principles of polishing are the same
the only thing that changes is the material that you use to get to where you can use your felt or linen wheels to high polish. If you don't step to finer and finer abrasives you just end up polishing the tops of the scratches and making them stand out rather than reducing them to make it look homogenous. Call "Dedeco" and ask them if they have any brochures on their rubber grinding and polishing kits as well as info on how to use them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay, so its kinda like body work on a car when you smooth it out start with a course paper then get finer to smooth except you finish with a felt or linen wheel with nothing on it.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hi hulkmag, Jantz 1-800-351-8900 is a knife, polishing and gunsmithing supply, call them and get their catalog, its a must.

------------------
Metal Smith

The only thing I know for sure is what I can measure!
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
421 Posts
One quick word of advice - when you work on the feed ramp, make sure your Dremel tool is in another room!

Not speaking from personal experience, but from reading lots of posts on internet boards...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have polished the feed ramp on my pistols with #400 grit emory cloth and my little finger. It is slow but you can't screw up the angle and it gives it a mirror finish. I then use metal polish that I have (Wenol) that is used for show cars to finish up the job. It has worked well on my Gold Cups and Defender. I havn't had a chance to finish my TRP. A trick I just tried is with a bore mop and a drill. I coated the bore mop with Wenol and went to work. You just have to be careful not to let the metal end of the mop get into anything on your gun.

Something else I always do is polish the slide rails. This makes them slick as glass and again doesn't hurt anything. You can also polish the flats of the slide with this same polish if you want them to shine. Then to finish off the job, I use carnuba wax (automotive) on the flats and anything else that is slick finished. This gives a beautiful finish and actually helps with fingerprints. It makes the Black finish on my blue Goldcup beautiful.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everybody for the help. i think i will leave polishing my ramp to a pro. i might try polishing the top of the barrel myself,if i get up enough guts.afraid i'll mess it up.but thanks to all who answered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts