1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Need some help here. Just picked up a gold cup trophy. Got her home couple of weeks ago, stripped her naked for a good cleaning and back together. Once dine cleaning, I wiped her down with silicone cloth ready for cleaning. However, I noticed the silicone cloth had left little scuff marks in the slide and part of the flats in the frame. Ya, the cloth was a little dry.

Any suggestions or methods on getting those removed and keeping the same finish as it was (not too shiny)?

Asked a few guys at a LGS just use flitz and polish it off with microfiber cloth, cuz it looks the finish is sensitive to cloth softness.

Some suggested using 2000 grit sandpaper w/ oil. Said few swipes and it's gone.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

image.jpg

·
Registered
431 Posts
No matter what you do the SS will scratch just from handling. Learn to live with it or go to a not so polished side, brush finish. The Brush does not show the scratches.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Are the scratches all the eay to the bare metal or just in the finish. If to bare metal you could cold blue if in the finish I've had luik with 0000 steal wool and hoppies # 9

·
Registered
581 Posts
Live with it a while before you do anything drastic as you will likely make the problem worse.

Is it SS or blued? How about some pictures?

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is SS. Just minor scuff in the slide and a long one In the frame. Not to the metal or anything. One if those where you can only see it in certain angle.

Pics of the gun attached to the original post above

·
Registered
581 Posts
Really nice looking gun.

Don't worry. The OCD will become less severe as you shoot it more and it develops some character. Took me about a year to get over it with my first new firearm.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Really nice looking gun.

Don't worry. The OCD will become less severe as you shoot it more and it develops some character. Took me about a year to get over it with my first new firearm.
Lol you are exactly right. I do this with every new gun. My OCD has already moved on. Moved on to another one. Just brought a new one home today. 1.5 inch Baer PII with factory action job. Now my OCD is on this one..... Sigh. So..... How do you remove scratches from a blued gun now? Lol. No really. Haha.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
if you must get rid of them go to a beauty supply house and get some nail boards. They come in many different 'grits'. They work great on stainless

·
Registered
887 Posts
Seems you have enough remedies so far, so how about a little info on the silicon cloth you used. I for one would like to stay away from that brand.

I know Midway sells a cloth, that from all appearances is regular silicon, but in fact is a "lead-away" type, which would be rough on a blue surface but not likely to be noticed on SS. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts