1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive seen that some of you guys have put a real shine on various parts of your stainless steal 1911's. could any one tell me the best way to do that myself,im thinkin bout shining up the small parts like the beaver tail,slide stop ect. keep in mind i have no experience in finishing metal and i dont wanna screw up my TRP.so if you think i should have a pro do it just tell me,i am pretty handy with tools and such (carpenter by trade) but as stated not much experience with metal finish. thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,288 Posts
I polished most of the matte parts on my stainless Colt. I used emery cloth, wrapped around appropriate backers. For flat areas, like the sides of the grip safety or mainspring housing, I wrapped the emery around a large file. It keeps the flat parts flat. For the bevels at the rear edges of the frame, I used a large, cylindrical pen; the pen makes for an easy transition from the straight edge along the mainspring housing, to the curve at the top. For complex curved areas, I've used small pieces of wood, pencils, gum erasers; anything that will provide some support, while still fitting into and around the part to be polished. If the part is truly round, like the front strap or the barrel, then just shoe-shine it. Polish in the same direction as the factory finish, where possible, so it looks uniform.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like to use wet/dry sand paper wet with a little oil or water. Depending on how the finish starts out you might have to start with a rough grit dry paper. start with 150 or 220 if you are starting with a rough finish(like casting or filing marks), then go to 320 wet/dry, then 500 wet/dry, and then if it isn't shiney enough use some 1200 grit wet/dry.You will need to buff it with a polishing compound after all that if you want a mirror shine.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I sent mine to SA Custom Shop and it looks like:

It was very scratched before I sent it. Custom Shop did it for free as part of some other work.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sent mine to SA Custom Shop and it looks like:

It was very scratched before I sent it. Custom Shop did it for free as part of some other work.
that looks sweet,what was the turn around time on that i cant go long without my TRP:bawling:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts