1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In building a stainless Essex I found the need for fine abrasive paper on a stick. I tried wrapping the paper on a small file, ok for some applications.

Then I remembered the Polishing Sticks I saw in Wilson's catalog ( they're $2.50 each).

This has probably been done by lots of you, but anyway ...

- I took some black wet-dry abrasive paper, popcicle sticks and wood glue. I cut strips just a little wider than the sticks and 2 inches long, applied glue to the stick and put on the paper strips. Stacked them 3 high and weighted them with a book to dry. Trimed them flush with scissors when the glue dried.

In 5 minutes I had 12 "polishing sticks" for about 3 cents total. You can write the grit on the stick with a ball point pen.

I made 400 and 600 grit, they're useful to polish after the fine needle file and the rounded tip of the popcicle stick has a radius for certain places on a 1911.

Okay, we got snow on the ground and it's too cold to shoot comfortably, it's not winter enough to tie flies, the parts I ordered to finish the gun aren't in, I've been off from work for a few days and the bird dog is too old to hunt - a guy's gotta keep busy somehow.

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
I'll probably get razzed real good about this one. I use (not the sandpaper boards) ladies' fingernail abrasive boards from where ever. They are fairly durable and get the job done. Also wrapping different grits of abrasive clothes around them give me the access and finish I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Magnumite,
don't feel too ashamed, I discovered the same thing a couple of years ago while shopping with my girlfriend.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i've been makeing them for years. i use hot glue and sometimes i cut the sticks to differant shapes. also with the hot glue i can attach the paper to round sticks, sockets, screew driver blades or whatever it takes. a few secends from a heatgun removes it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts