Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 4 or more

Votes: 3 2.5%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please let me know if this thread already exists. I think that this is the right forum to post this in, but, again, please let me know of a better place.

In a recent article, I read that some shady prosecutors will try to twist the carry of extra mags to mean that a person has a Rambo complex-- they're looking for trouble. The article explains why the carry of extra mags is justified, but it made me curious. How concerned are you about this possibility, should the worst happen? Here's the poll: How many *extra* mags (or full reloads for revolvers) do you carry? This does *not* include the mag/cylinder loaded initially-- just extras. Personally, I don't have my CCP quite yet-- the app is on the way-- so my answer is 0 right now, and probably 1 when I get the permit. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Two 7-round tried and true Metalforms. Still less than the standard carry plastic models, so why should they have a problem? What if I were legally carrying my M4 with 91 rounds, one mag in the chute, 30 in the inserted mag, and two extra 30 round mags?

·
Registered
388 Posts
In addition to the two extra 1911 mags, I also carry multiple firearms (once my weight gets back up to normal for me). The other main firearm is an SP101 in .357mag crossdraw/or can draw & fire with left hand (ambi) for a 'NY reload' and a string (nylon loop cheapie) of 6 rounds. In addition, one or more small bug(s). As my weight remains now, I choose between the 1911A1 + the bug(s) or the SP101 (on strong side - regular draw) + the bug(s) on any given day.

No matter which or both; two mags when the 1911A1 is present and stringer of 6 extra rounds when the SP101 is present. No extra rounds/mags carried for the bug(s).

Although I would *rather* not lug the weight around, my personal threat level is sometimes such that it is prudent. Said threat level has been diminishing greatly as time goes by, thank G_d. But, I still will carry at least 2 mags for the 1911A1 or the 6 rounds for the SP101 as well as a bug in either case.

Edited to add: One extra 1911 mag is in case of jam and the other because is I do not like holding an empty sidearm after needing to discharge it. For the SP101, I do not like holding an empty sidearm after needing to discharge it so I carry the extra rounds. (I do not carry speed loaders so reloading under fire with the revolver is not in my personal game plan.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I carry 3 extra magazines. I have 1 8 round in my duty weapon, and 2, 7 round magazines in my mag pouch on my belt, then 1 extra 7 round mag in my leg pocket on my BDU pants.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I normally carry a .45 ACP Springfield Champion in Condition 1 with one magazine in the weapon loaded with 230 grain HP, a spare mag loaded with 230 grain HP, and a third mag loaded with 230 grain hardball. That should cover most situations likely to be encountered in civilian carry, including malfunctions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I carry either a 5" or a 3.5 " 1911. Regardless, my preferred resupply is one extra mag on my offside and two extras in a nylon pouch in a back pocket.

I'm guessing the mods would prefer this thread under tactics.

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I carry a 1911 I usually don't carry a spare mag, I just haven't gotten around to finding a good mag carrier. When I carry my .38 snub nose, I usually carry a speed strip with extra 5 in my pocket.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
It isn't really a question for LEGAL & POLITICAL NEWS, even with the prosecutor question, more of a question for TACTICS.

·
Registered
75 Posts
always 2 near by

normally 1 extra mag in my pocket with one in the glove box/console. If I'm going to the mall (or anywhere with my whole family) or any other high risk, you're asking for it, situation, I add the other spare to my pocket contents. Any normal errands, walking around by myself kinda stuff, I carry the one extra.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
8+1 in the gun------Colt LTW Comm or Colt Gunsite, all 230 gr JHP. Minimum of one extra 8 rd'r of 230 JHP's and often a second reload of 230 FMJ. Tracy

·
Registered
19 Posts
I carry two regardless of the pistol I am carrying. I will admit I carried one for a long time but it has been getting a little crazy down here in paradise.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
For me, the answer to both is 2. I carry two Wilson 47D's when carrying a .45 automatic, or I carry two Bianchi speedstrips when I'm carrying a j-frame in my pocket.

I've never been concerned with legal issues of having reloads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts